? on cold crashing and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
I am planning on cold crashing an IPA in order to get as much yeast out of suspension before kegging because the beer has to travel by car for over an hour, sometimes on dirt and gravel roads, which ends up shaking up any yeast on the bottom and pours yeasty glasses for a while.

So I should cold crash before dry hopping so that the yeast doesn't take the hop flavor with it? If so, after cold crashing I should keg the beer to get it off the yeast. I've heard that it is better to dry hop at room temp vs. cold.

As a result I will have to dry hop in the keg. What is the best material to tie the to the hop bag? Do I pinch it between the lid and o-ring? Or will that create a leak?

WOuld I then pull the hop bag out after say a week and then put in it in the keg to carbonate?

Or am I over thinking this?

You are over thinking this. Just dryhop on your normal schedule. Cold crash and then keg. It will be fine.

You can dry hop in a keg and some people just toss hops in and leave then there until the beer is gone. Presumably, you're traveling to some sort of event though so you might not want to be experimenting on the party guests.

I like cold crashing before dry hopping.

Lots of people dry hop cold, in the keg. It's different and takes a little longer, but very tasty. And you can just leave it there.

Back