Omega Labs & Gigayeast Saison/Trappist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
So I'm starting to get into Saison type yeasts and while browsing Farmhouse Brewing Supply, 2 yeasts I haven't heard of yet came up while ordering some other yeasts.

The first is Omega Yeast Labs' Saisonstein's Monster Oyl-500.
The second is Gigayeast, Inc's Belgian Mix GY007.

I was wondering if anybody here has used either of these and what their experiences were. Was thinking of starting up another hopped saison cyser and thinking I may give Saisonstein's Monster a try.

Also think of getting the Belgian Mix to try my hand at another trappist cider.

Opinions and experiences welcome!

Sorry no experience here, just subscribing due to interest in the Oly-500. I understand Omega has developed a novel technique to hybridize yeast and this is their first offer. They say it's the results of mating strains OYL-026 and OYL-027 which are putatively WY3711 and WY3724, respectively.

Rising the dead,

I am currently fermenting with saisonstein's monster. The yeast isn't what i would consider extremely active, but it is constant. i will let you know more as my process continues. brew day was 6/21.

Rising the dead,

I am currently fermenting with saisonstein's monster. The yeast isn't what i would consider extremely active, but it is constant. i will let you know more as my process continues. brew day was 6/21.

Please do. I am curious if it's worth trying out. Shipping to CA might prove hazardous when I could just as well get a smack pack of both yeasts.

from what i can tell, it appears that fermentation may be finished...in 4 days! the og was 1.052. I took a reading today...1.004! I haven't bottled so, flavor may be something different. I tasted my sample, and it was light and refreshing. the fragrance is what you expect from a saison, perhaps a little milder, although my previous saison had more hops. it's definitely worth a try. I plan on either washing and saving or reusing right away.

I just used this yeast(OMEGA Saisonstein). I was told it would be a huge fermentation, but mine has been really subtle yet constant. what temp did you have it at? I had mine in upper 60s and then moved it upstairs where it's like 70 degrees. Still not much action.

I ferment my saisons around 95, it gets pretty vigorous regardless of strain

It doesn't action like you think, leave it alone and it will do it's job. I ferment mine at around 75. I thought the same thing, it's very clean. Trust me. It doesn't look like its doing much but it is. I got like 90% attenuation on it. That the Saisonstein's monster.

Correction, the room temperature of the room where I ferment is closer to 70° it's the basement, and at least 5° cooler than the main floor. Main floor is set at 77 during the summer.

Back