Older brewers techniques.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys have any thoughts on the tankless Water Drop system? reverse-osmosis-water-filtration-system-for-home-wd-g2600-w
Dont know about that system but it seem a bit expensive at first glance. I took a quick look and did not see chloramine mentioned, if you have chloramine in your water it takes multiple carbon block filters and slow processing of water to remove so a high GPD is not always a good thing.

Maybe ask the question in the brew science section to get more feed back. There is a member called buckeye_hydro that has system tailored to brewing.

edit: maybe equipment/sanitation is the better place to get recommendations

Last edited:
I invested in a Grainfather system years ago, and it has paid for itself many times over already. I live in an apartment now, and can still brew 8 gal all grain batches without much trouble.

Remind yourself that it is a hobby and not a chore. I split the process up into multiple days, and take you time. Gather/ assemble/ clean equipment, calculate recipe and make yeast starter one day, brew and pitch the next, soak overnight when possible and clean/ put away the next day. I switched back to bottling years ago when I realized in the long run, kegging is not that much easier.

I switched back to bottling years ago when I realized in the long run, kegging is not that much easier.
While I admire this sentiment, I think that bottled beer doesn't taste as good especially if you like lagers and hoppy styles.

And while I think of brewing as a hobby, it's almost become a sort of duty; I wouldn't say chore... I really just prefer having beer I made on tap at home. It's so awesome, there's almost nothing better. Sometimes I don't feel like brewing, but I still do anyway, because that beer needs to get made. It's really just become such a big part of my life and I think it's gone beyond being a hobby at this point. It's like cooking or mowing the lawn, it's just got to get done.

[...]
And while I think of brewing as a hobby, it's almost become a sort of duty; I wouldn't say chore... I really just prefer having beer I made on tap at home. It's so awesome, there's almost nothing better. Sometimes I don't feel like brewing, but I still do anyway, because that beer needs to get made. It's really just become such a big part of my life and I think it's gone beyond being a hobby at this point. It's like cooking or mowing the lawn, it's just got to get done.

I get this. It is non-trivial keeping beer(s) on tap for years, and it's clearly a significant commitment that doesn't have a lot of respect for one's other needs :)

So far the balance between enjoying the actual brewing, messing around with equipment and process enhancements, and of course the consumption :ban: , allows me to give the effort the priority it demands without regret. And I have learned if one has a deep enough pipeline it actually allows more flexibility in other pursuits :)

Cheers!

I get this. It is non-trivial keeping beer(s) on tap for years, and it's clearly a significant commitment that doesn't have a lot of respect for one's other needs :)

So far the balance between enjoying the actual brewing, messing around with equipment and process enhancements, and of course the consumption :ban: , allows me to give the effort the priority it demands without regret. And I have learned if one has a deep enough pipeline it actually allows more flexibility in other pursuits :)

Cheers!

Good point. It occurred to me some time ago that I enjoy the process of brewing at least as much as I enjoy the consumption part. Lately I think I may like it more. I like the planning, the tinkering, the science, the camaraderie and of course the tasting. O.K., cleanup: not so much. But everything else, fine.

And when 5 o'clock rolls around and SWMBO'd yells, "Hey, where's my wine?", I know that there's a frosty glass of the elixir of the Gods, derived from malt, water, hops and yeast (thanks, m. Pastuer) awaiting me at the end of the draught line.

Increasingly I don't feel like making beer every day, nor do I necessarily feel like drinking beer every day. But rarely since this Covid lockdown began does a day go by without me at least thinking about brewing beer.

Last edited:
When I read posts here I always wonder what the age group is. It's nice to read that there's a lot of older folks either starting or have been at it for some time. I'm 63 and still brewing since 1983 although the equipment and stamina has changed. Covid has certainly changed how much I brew but only because the invites aren't what they used to be. I'm hoping next summer that changes. I brew 10 gallon batches in a dedicated brewery in my basement. When we built the house I made sure that spot had water but stupid me didn't request a drain but the utility sink is plumbed in. It's still a lot of work but brewing still continues to be a rewarding hobby.

I'm 58 and often brew with my 29 year old. He helps with the heavy lifting! It also helps that we brew at a shared brewhouse space, the amount of hauling and moving is much less than when I brewed at home, endlessly hauling stuff up and down from the basement, to the kitchen, back patio, and garage.

No one around to help me with the heavy lifting so I try to be smart about all that. Hauling out the spent grain is probably the most work. I load it up in a muck tub, hauling it out with a cart and dumping in the woods. Luckily I have a walkout basement so no steps to deal with. Sometimes after drinking too much those steps can be an issue but that's a different story.

I'm 62. I used to do stovetop extract or partial mash batches. I bought a Mash & Boil and started doing all grain. Since it's an all-in-one system, I don't need to do much transferring. I fill pitchers with water from the (filtered) tap and fill the M&B with those. I have the M&B on a cart at about knee level, so when I fill the fermenter, it's just a matter of opening the tap and letting it flow. I had to get up on a chair to lift the grain pipe a few times, but I've been trying to exercise (fast walking, running, biking, lifting weights), so I can usually manage without the chair. Other than that, the only heavy thing is carrying the fermenter (plastic bucket) to the basement (and back up when it's ready to keg).

My first Last Drop piece.
IMG_20201214_103252.jpg

While I admire this sentiment, I think that bottled beer doesn't taste as good especially if you like lagers and hoppy styles.
Depends on the brew for sure, but sometimes a good bottle-conditioned ale is hard to beat. I would much rather keg but it doesn't make sharing and swapping very easy. I know there are ways of bottling from the keg, but that's more expense and gear I don't need. I use 2.5 and 3 gal cornies and do a lot of keg half/bottle half. You can definitely tell the difference made by priming and bottle conditioning. Sometimes it's like you said, the style is better kegged.

I think you are right about kegs being better for Lagers and Hoppy beers. BUT, certain beers are better in bottles. I mainly keg but, I recently bottled Belgian Golden Ale, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Trippel, Belgian Quad and a Belgian Wit. So, each has it's purpose. Come to think of it, maybe just the Belgian beers need bottles... I just confused myself.

I think you are right about kegs being better for Lagers and Hoppy beers. BUT, certain beers are better in bottles. I mainly keg but, I recently bottled Belgian Golden Ale, Belgian Dark Strong Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Trippel, Belgian Quad and a Belgian Wit. So, each has it's purpose. Come to think of it, maybe just the Belgian beers need bottles... I just confused myself.

No, you had an epiphany!

Oh I agree, some styles are definitely better bottled. I just brewed a big imperial porter last night that will get oaked and bottled. It'll be one of those whenever-I-feel-like-a-big-dark-heavy-beer sort of beers. Hornindal kveik is chugging away, surprisingly not blowing off.

And, man, I must say, there was 20 or so pounds of grain in that batch. The mashtun was super heavy to carry when I took the grain out to dump. Got a work out! My back complained a little. I'm not ready to go back down to small batches yet. Someday...

I just turned 60 and did a brew today. I must admit brew day is turning into quite the chore. Carrying around pots and corny kegs of 5 gallons worth of liquid down stairs is beginning to be to much for me to handle. How do you cope with these limitations of strength and endurance?
The secret is make wine for 30 years and your well oiled and preserved with all the sulfides, etc. and start making Beer with the electric equipment since it is much easier at 72. I only regret not starting at a younger age 😡 oh! did I forget to mention Tylenol ???

I am 56 and have been brewing for 18 years now. I have a 3 vessel e-herms and I love brewing on it. I brew on my covered back lanai and have a 240 volt, 30 amp plug receptacle plumbed into the wall. I absolutely love brewing on it but I have to set it up the night before brew day and then break it down and store it in my garage after the brewing is done. I have always been in great shape and still work out (something I have done since my teens) but lately my back has been feeling it when I have to lug my heavy keggles (mainly the HLT with the coil inside it) onto my brew stand. Lugging the heavy plastic container that contains all my tri clover fittings and clamps take a toll on the back as well.

I have since put the tri clover stuff in two separate containers to make it a lot less heavy. I also have my son or a brew buddy help me lift my 14 gallon conical full of wort into my upright freezer. It's tough to admit but the mind is young but my body not so much! The lift table is a great option and I will adapt and keep brewing once a month until I can't. Even then my sons will probably brew and I will supervise!

John

The secret is make wine for 30 years and your well oiled and preserved with all the sulfides, etc. and start making Beer with the electric equipment since it is much easier at 72. I only regret not starting at a younger age 😡 oh! did I forget to mention Tylenol ???
But tylenol and beer = not good for liver.

I have since put the tri clover stuff in two separate containers to make it a lot less heavy. I also have my son or a brew buddy help me lift my 14 gallon conical full of wort into my upright freezer. It's tough to admit but the mind is young but my body not so much! The lift table is a great option and I will adapt and keep brewing once a month until I can't. Even then my sons will probably brew and I will supervise!

John
Yeah, you need to be pumping the wort into the conical that is already in your upright freezer. But you would need to be brewing in the same room as the freezer and it sounds like that is not the case.

Yes it is a long way from my lanai, through the house to the inside garage door that leads to the garage, where my upright freezer is. But I like the idea! Might have to make a very long silicone line and just pump it in there....

John

I just turned 60 and did a brew today. I must admit brew day is turning into quite the chore. Carrying around pots and corny kegs of 5 gallons worth of liquid down stairs is beginning to be to much for me to handle. How do you cope with these limitations of strength and endurance?

I'm 60. I get it. If I use water it is plumbed to where I use it. If there are gallons of liquid to move I use a pump. One rule for buying my house 28 years ago was No Stairs-might be too late for that advice.

Having everything in one spot to brew certainly makes brew day easier. I've seen the brewers hauling hot pots of liquid up and down steps and it makes my knees ache. When I do brew day I make sure everything is ready in my brewing spot so I don't need to make any un-necessary trips. It's all in the planning. I wish I was 30 years old and had all this experience but we live and learn.

I am young here, at almost-50. But I have was in a major accident 15 years ago, so I understand the physical limitations of brewing, lifting, and whatnot. When I age out of some of these heavy processes, I have plans for a plumbed utility sink, permanent water filter system, 220V electric brewing system with pump and CIP, and a stand-up fridge/freezer for kegs vs. the horizontal one I have now. I will change my lifestyle to whatever, so that I can continue to make beer, give it away, and drink it-it brings me joy in so many ways..

Back