Old table sugar for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Random question: Sugar never technically spoils, and i've had some in my cupboard for at least 2-3 years (who really knows - maybe longer). I cleaned a bunch of bottles only to see i don't have enough dextrose to bottle today, and my new delivery will probably take longer than i want. I looked in my cupboard and i have some of those dominoes cubes that i'm thinking about mashing and boiling in water - same as i would for the dextrose but at a different ratio

Any objections or reason why i shouldn't?

No reason at all. in fact, if they are the 196 per box size, 1 cube per 12 oz bottle is good dosing. No need to crush them. If they are the 120 per box size, you would need to use less than a cube.

No reason at all. in fact, if they are the 196 per box size, 1 cube per 12 oz bottle is good dosing. No need to crush them. If they are the 120 per box size, you would need to use less than a cube.
Cool

yea..i read they are a good size per bottle...but also sounds tedious ..haha...would rather batch prime.

My only worry really was how old they were - but i guess if i boil for a couple min in about 2 cups of water, i should be alright

Back