Old Mr beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I have a Mr beer refill that's 2 years past the best by date. Thinks it's safe? I was just going to use it for yeast starters, but don't want to poison anyone.

If the can isn't leaking or bulging, it should be safe. It'll be darker and less fermentable, but it'll be safe to use. I wouldn't trust the yeast, though.

I'd toss it.

I don't know much about botulism, but what I've heard about it, this sounds like it could be something that could harbor it.

They should be relatively sanitary when packaged, no reason to scream botulism. But, you still may not want to use them for starters. The Mr. Beer cans are usually pre hopped. You don't really want hops in your starters.

You think there's enough hops in a Mr beer kit to have much of an effect though?

Last edited:
I have used mr beer that old, the skunky smell will turn you off. Of course i drank it anyways, haha, like a fool.

Back