Old mr. beer can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and use a can of mr. beer that expired 2 years ago. The beer is about a week old, tried it and it's sour. Like something that went bad kind of sour. Added some steeped grains(2-row) to it and a little honey and brown sugar. I moved it to a secondary today. Like a rotten fruit kind of sour, I guess. I could dry hop something with it to hide the sour flavor, it is safe to drink, right, because of the fermentation process? Fermentation was very active.

I just bottled a Mr Beer kit that expired in 2009. I was given one for Christmas of 2007 and just never got around to it. I've started researching regular 5 gallon batches starting with extract / partial mash, and my wife wanted me to do the Mr Beer first .. I must say it tastes like ****. The malt expired in 2009, and I had to activate the dried yeast with warm water and sugar - and I still have no confidence in it. I just did it to appease SWMBO. Next week I'm doing a partial mash / extract brew, and another the following week, so I will have 10 gallons in the pipeline to start off with. If I don't die first from drinking the Mr Beer.

I ended up dumping my old mr. beer batch. It was horrible. The taste wasn't even the worst part, the after taste that couldn't be washed away was the worst part. Funny, hubby talked me into using the old can, because it was one of his family members that gifted it to me. Found out I was a brewer so bought me a mr.beer kit, for a birthday, I think, maybe Christmas. I do like the little fermenter and still use it. But in the end, tossed the rest of the kit.

P.S. I hope you don't die.

I decided to go ahead and use a can of mr. beer that expired 2 years ago. The beer is about a week old, tried it and it's sour. Like something that went bad kind of sour. Added some steeped grains(2-row) to it and a little honey and brown sugar. I moved it to a secondary today. Like a rotten fruit kind of sour, I guess. I could dry hop something with it to hide the sour flavor, it is safe to drink, right, because of the fermentation process? Fermentation was very active.

Why??? :p

i was giving the mr beer kit as a gift and it came with the classic ale. well man did it taste horrible! i know us the mr beer fermenter as a small test batch. also i know of others that have tried the mr beer and were sick after drinking one!

mr beer isn't that bad. It's no different than any no-boil pre-hopped extract recipe.

its just targeted to buyers that are going to let the fermentor sit on the kitchen counter, near the oven, infront of the window OR it sat in the attic for 3 years before it was dragged out to the yard sale. and the second buyer will
let the fermentor sit on the kitchen counter, near the oven, infront of the window OR yet again let it sit in the attic for 3 years before it will be dragged out to the yard sale.

Back