Old homebrew literature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good list of homebrew books?
Particularly old books from 1970s and 1980s.
I have been searching Google and Amazon without much luck.

My first intro to homebrewing was a book from the library in about 1991.
I don't remember what it was, but I would love to find that book again.
It had just a couple of recipes, but I made one, and it was good.

allbookstores.com is a pretty good site for finding the best price for whatever book you are buying.

My first two homebrewing books were Dave Miller's The Complete Handbook of Homebrewing (c. 1988 - mine was signed by the author in 1993) and Papazian's book c. 1991. Of the two, Miller's book taught me the most and I still pull it out from time to time. You can find it used for under $4 shipped.

Until 1979 brewing beer at home wasn't legal in the U.S. so there weren't a whole lot of books about homebrewing in the 70's.

To expand a bit on what @beernutz stated above... it was Charlie Papazian who wrote The Complete Joy of Homebrewing which came out in 1984. Dave Miller's book was called Homebrewing Guide: Everything you need to know to make great tasting beer.

I always had a soft spot for the Papazian book since it was my first. I completely embraced his philosophy of Relax, Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew and for those lessons alone I think every brewer should read it to remind themselves that this is supposed to be fun.

Until 1979 brewing beer at home wasn't legal in the U.S. so there weren't a whole lot of books about homebrewing in the 70's.

There were, they just weren't being published in the US. Dave Line's The Big Book of Brewing and Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy were both hugely important in the 1970s, before the likes of Papazian.

To expand a bit on what @beernutz stated above... it was Charlie Papazian who wrote The Complete Joy of Homebrewing which came out in 1984. Dave Miller's book was called Homebrewing Guide: Everything you need to know to make great tasting beer.

I always had a soft spot for the Papazian book since it was my first. I completely embraced his philosophy of Relax, Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew and for those lessons alone I think every brewer should read it to remind themselves that this is supposed to be fun.
Minor nit: that is a different, more recent, homebrewing book by Dave Miller than the one I first bought. I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0882665170/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back