Old Cornelius Cold Plate Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy13586

Reaction score
I recently picked up an older used Cornelius cold plate to build a jockey box, and I'm not sure if i'm able to find new fittings. There are a few fittings that came with the plate with short lengths of hose attached, but the fittings seem to be a bit larger than the standard 1/2"-16 size that most plates take and are available online. I measured the old fittings at the hardware store, but all I could find was that they are either 5/8" or 9/16" with an unknown thread count.

PD71 is stamped near the ports. I have contacted Cornelius, as well as some restaurant supply places, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Has anyone run in to this problem with older cold plates? Is there a way around this to make it work?

Thanks!

(pictures below for a little more detail)

Cold plate (I've cleaned it up since this picture)
IMG_20130722_145356_430.jpg

Fitting with old line
IMG_20130822_201735_619.jpg

The fitting only. Top portion is 7/16"-20.
IMG_20130822_201600_879.jpg

Line with connecting swivel nut.
IMG_20130822_201640_400.jpg

I had an old one several years ago and found the barbed fittings that screw in at Midwest Supplies. If they don't have it, try Chi Company.

It's strange that there is an o-ring as well as a flare on that fitting. You would usually only rely on one or the other to make the seal. Is there a flare gasket that's used in the cold plate?

There weren't any flare gaskets with the cold plate and original fittings

I did find the correct size in the plumbing section of Lowes

IMG_20130826_124502_973.jpg

I'll still need to get the proper barb fittings, but that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing is that they only carry brass fittings. At least they're lead-free, right?

Latest posts

Back