old corn sugar, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifishsum

Reaction score
I scored some brewing stuff from a friend who hasn't brewed in about 10 years and has no plans to start up again - a couple of glass carboys, hydrometer, 24 swing top Grolsch bottles, 18 22 ounce bottles, several dozen caps and a capper. Inside the box was also a lb of corn sugar (unopened), a package of Irish Moss, some Campden tablets, pectic enzyme (she did a lot of fruit beers) and a couple of books.

Would there be any reason not to use the corn sugar, Irish moss or anything else listed just because it's 10-12 years old? They all look pretty normal to me.

If it's packaged tight I would say use the Irish Moss and the sugar. My friend used 10 year old caps and all his carbonation dissipated. Toss those. The capper should be fine. You'll find out the first time you use it. I can't tell you about the campden tabs or the PE.

I think the books should be ok though. :)

:tank:

Double check the gaskets on the swing tops and if they are not in top condition, they are easily and cheaply replaced at your LHBS.

I'd swap the gaskets on the swingtops, pitch the old ingredients because sugar and whirlfloc tabs are cheap and ditch the old caps for the same reason.

I'd ditch the Campden tablets and the peptic enzyme because I have no idea what the use by date on those should be or when they would expire or diminish in effectiveness.

Sounds like you picked up over $150 in stuff. The $10 - $20 to replace the old items is an insurance policy so you don't ruin your next batch.

I was already planning to replace the swing top gaskets for sure, they are visibly faded and brittle. The metal caps are really the only thing I hate to throw away because there are so many and they look fine, and about half of them are imprinted on the top with "Relax don't worry have a homebrew" so it makes them a little harder to give up on them :). But you guys are right - I'd be silly to risk a batch for the sake of trying to save a couple of bucks.

I have enough new caps right now to bottle my next batch and then some, maybe I will try capping a couple of bottles with the older caps as a test.

I have enough new caps right now to bottle my next batch and then some, maybe I will try capping a couple of bottles with the older caps as a test.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest... You will know if they are worth saving without losing a whole batch if not.

Just a tip. That friend of mine that had decade old caps dropped priming tabs into the bottles that failed to carbonate and then recapped them with new caps. Worked out great as we just had them at my b-day party this past saturday. Fully carbed and tasted great to those that had them.

:tank:

Back