Old Carboy - Water damage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got an old carboy that I'm trying to clean up. It has a strange crustiness inside, particularly on the sides and bottom--almost looks granular and clear, like sugar crystals coating the inside surface. I've soaked it in water, also in bleach water (right now), and brushed it a bit. But the roughness is still there. Maybe the result of hard water sitting in it for a long time?

If anyone has some experience with this type of thing, and could offer some advice, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Monk

If I had that problem, I would use my CarboyCleaner carboy brush set. Those brushes are pretty awesome when it comes to cleaning the insides of carboys.

I;ve got one like that. It's at least 30 years old as it belonged to my dad when he was brewing before I was born. Same crustiness. I've used bleach, vinegar, Oxyclean. Nothing has helped so far. My next attempt will be with CLR.

The vinegar made no difference with mine. Muriatic acid is likely the only thing that will work. When you try the vinegar and it doesn't help you have two choices: CLR or muriatic acid. You can get muriatic acid at the swimming pool cleaning supply shop, and must exercise caution when using as it will destroy clothing and can cause blindness.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back