Old beer taste better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsahagian

Reaction score
I just found a couple of 6 month old Stouts I brewed that were terrible when I brewed them but tasted great today. How long should I let my beer sit before I drink it?

All depends on the beer. My double chocolate stouts are still kickin' ass and taking names at 9 months or so. Then I had a bottle of my APA that was 6 months old and it was completely BLEAH.

There are some guide lines in Beer Captured that seem reasonable. I think it depends on the ingredients, which is going to go to style. I think IPA taste best fresh (REALLY fresh, almost green), but others need time to age/mellow.

Hop flavors diminish over time, while malt flavors mature and develop with time. Because of this malty beers generally benefit from longer aging, while hoppy beers generally are best young. It really depends a lot on the individual beer though. While most of my batches are consumed in a rather short time frame, I like to set at least a six pack aside and open one a month to see what the flavor profile does over time. It can be a very eye opening experience.

I just found a couple of 6 month old Stouts I brewed that were terrible when I brewed them but tasted great today. How long should I let my beer sit before I drink it?

Try this...make a pale ale. Let it primary and secondary as normal. Then bottle and taste the first in two weeks. Open another at week three, then four, etc. Take notes and see how much the beer matures from week to week, month to month. It's amazing how a 'living' beer improves with age.

I think thats the greatest thing about being a homebrewer. Being able to taste a beer as it ages. Its crazy how big a difference a few months will make

i have a six pack of 4 month old beer that is killing me... it calls out my name. I hear its calls... I want it, it was good 2 months ago.

i am weak. must.. be... strong.... i am new at this and want to be... strong.. must be strong.

Back