Oktoberfest Party: What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstuts2260

Reaction score
The plan is to throw a kick ass Oktoberfest party the 2nd weekend of Oktober with a brewer friend of mine. We're planning on doing a total of 8 five gallon batches for the party. Not only is it awesome because we'll have that much beer, but it's awesome because we have support from both of our ladies to brew that much (in addition to what I'll brew for myself).

We're brewing 3 batches a piece and 1 collaboration 10 gallon Oktoberfest ale. What would you brew with your 3?

I'm thinking Dead Guy Ale and 2 players to be named later...

FYI: I'm an all grain brewer and I don't have lagering capabilities.

Dead Guy is kinda a bock beer right? Why not keep with the german beers? Do a helles, vienna lager, and oktoberfest. Not to mention they are all good party beers being so easy to drink.

Can't go wrong with a hefeweizen. German beer so it keeps with the theme, it might also appeal to those who wouldn't like bocks, etc...

I completely agree. So far we're looking at:
1. Oktoberfest (I do like the recipe from Biermuncher - thanks for the suggestion)
2. Hefe

I'm not 100% sold on the Dead Guy Ale, so keep the suggestions coming!

Cheers

Are you planning food at this bonanza? That might help pair something.

In the fall though I'm always gearing up for oktoberfest beers, harvest type ales, darker browns and porters.

There will be food (otherwise people won't make it all day) but that is being taken care of by the ladies. I do know there will prob be some German food of some sort as well as a bunch of smoked BBQ.

Sorry can't help much on the food pairings.

There is a recipe for making a Helles using ale yeast somewhere in the recipe data base. I think it is under light hybrid beers.

We're having our 6th annual Oktoberfest this year. The beers that have been most popular are the hefeweizen and the smoked lagers. You say you can't lager but you could brew a nice light colored ale with 15-25% rauchmalt. Even my BMC drinking friends loved the smoked beers last year so this year I'm going to have 3 different ones.

I'm brewing Edwort's Oktoberfest Ale today as a matter of fact. You might want to check that out too.

+1 to a hefe and a rauch

I completely agree. So far we're looking at:
1. Oktoberfest (I do like the recipe from Biermuncher - thanks for the suggestion)
2. Hefe

I'm not 100% sold on the Dead Guy Ale, so keep the suggestions coming!

Cheers

Nothing wrong with Dead Guy...I made a clone using DME of DGA, and it turned out to be my best extract brew of the year:rockin:

Gotta do a few brews with pumpkin in them!

I think it would be easy to find german beer recipes you think would be good and use S-05 yeast instead of lager yeast.

Alt Bier and Kolsche come to mind. What's your demographic? Will there be non-beer drinkers? Maybe do a blonde ale for them (although the kolsche would be suitable for them).

Lets think outside the box. Maybe do a german hop IPA? Bitter with magnum and use tettnager or some other german hop for flavor and aroma.

Also, being that you're having the party so late in the Octoberfest season, it'll probably be pretty much fall at that point, i say a DUNKELWEIZEN would be a good brew.

So I'd do the following:

Hefeweizen
Octoberfest "ale"
Dunkelweizen
Kolsch
German hopped IPA
Alt beer or a rye beer

I have an Oktoberfest celebration as well. I am brewing:

Marzen (brewed in March and has been lagering all summer)
Altbier
Hefe
Pilsner Urquell Clone
Houe Pale Ale
and I will probably have hop bomb on tap as well (Pliny the bastard - Pliny recipe with Maris Otter in stead of American two-row and Chinook hops instead of simcoe)

Back