Oktoberfest Ale...What Yeast To Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for an Ofest Ale that I plan on brewing for a party in early Sept. I don't have lagering capabilities, and I need it too soon to lager even if I did.

The question that I'm battling now is which yeast to use. Do I use an Ofest ale, and ferment it at a slightly higher temp (using the "swamp cooler" method), or do I just use a German Ale yeast?

Ed Wort has an OktoberFest Ale recipe using Kolsch yeast that I am going to try out this year.

I made a Octoberfest style in January of this year using White labs WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast. It a ale/lager yeast combo with an optimum fermentation temp of 65F-70F. My basement during that time was about 62 deg F. I was trying to knock off Sam Adams.

It came pretty close but has a little bit of an estery profile I could do without. I kegged it in February and have it lagering in my keezer at 42 deg F. I pull a pint every now and then and the estery profile continues to diminish and the malt/hops come through more and more. I don't think you have the time frame for this.

The other yeast that was recommended to me was Cry Havoc. This yeast can make an ale or a lager depending on temp. I have no experience with this strain.

Also I would try WLP060 American Ale Yeast. Optimum temp is 68-72 with high attenuation and accentuates hops with a "clean flavor" profile. When I make this recipe again, I'm going to use this yeast.

I have made this same recipe with a lager yeast years ago when I had a lagering fridge and it was a truly clean lager flavor, but I'll have to wait till I have another fridge to do that again.

I would try the San Fransico lager yeast (810?) if you can ferment in the low 60's. That produces the cleanest (non-estery) beers at ale fermentation temps that I have tried. Nontheless, ale characterstics will still be noticeable.

I tried the BM recipe reference above last year, and it was a nice malty ale, but not really in the same ballpark as a real oktoberfest. The English yeast strain he uses makes for a relatively fruity beer, especially in the context of an oktoberfest/marzen.

I've made two Oktoberfests with WLP820, Both of which turned into Diacytl bombs, despite doing diacytl rests. I do NOT recommend this yeast!

I just brewed another one using WLP830. It's almost ready for a diacytl rest, so here's hoping this one is better.

I used Pacman for a psuedo lager oktocberfest. I ferment it areound 60-64 and it is very clean. Same thing would go for pretty much any of the common dry yeasts (US05, US04, Notty, WLP056, etc)

I would use Pacman at 60 degrees or WLP029@ about 64 degrees. The key will be to mash a little higher so it doesn't finish to dry and suck the delicious O-fest maltiness right out of the beer.

My LHBS, and my back-up, only carries Wyeast and a few dry yeasts, so the WLP's aren't really an option. I'm leaning towards the German Ale, the Kolsch, or as I said, the OFest at a slightly higher temp (using the swamp cooler, I SHOULD be able to get the fermenter down to around 60....

You don't have lagering equipment, but do you have any means of temperature control? This is not a Octoberfest friendly season that we are in, and if you can't keep the temperature in the 60's things might be drastically out of style... Even the pseudofest beers require low-temp ferments...

I used wyeast 1007 german ale and kept it in the basement in a water bath in a colmen cooler at around 64 F and it turned out very nice. If the temp went up I just through in a couple frozed waterbottles. The Krausen took a while to go away. It is sitting in the bottle now and turned out pretty good.

You don't have lagering equipment, but do you have any means of temperature control? This is not a Octoberfest friendly season that we are in, and if you can't keep the temperature in the 60's things might be drastically out of style... Even the pseudofest beers require low-temp ferments...

Swamp cooler. My basement flucuates between 64-68, so I keep the cooler temps arounf 57-58 (meaning the fermenter is at 63). Pacman at this temp works a bit slower, but its beautifully clean. As soon as the Krausen falls (10-12 days at these temps) I let it warm up to ambient for 2-3 days and it cleans up any off flavors that snuck in.

Not perfect, but hey, it makes some damn clean tasting beer!

Currently in 3rd week of fermenting EdWort's recipe with Kolsch yeast. I have no temp control either and my basement is currently 67 F. Hope it turns out ok.

Currently in 3rd week of fermenting EdWort's recipe with Kolsch yeast. I have no temp control either and my basement is currently 67 F. Hope it turns out ok.

I am planning to do this recipe as well once I bottle up my yet-to-brew Kolsch.

Back