Ok I pressure fermented.... now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I pressure fermented a doppelbock at room temperature in my Fermzilla with spunding valve and I have a few things I'd like to do with it now:

1. Dump the trub and yeast that's sitting in the catch--the butterfly valve has been open since pitching.
2. Transfer it to a carboy for a lagering period at ~50 in my garage, then bottle half, and keg the other half
3. Put something else in my Fermzilla that I'm planning to brew soon

It's currently at 9psi in the fermenter. If I bleed off all of the CO2, will that spoil the beer? Can I still rack it to a glass carboy with an airlock?

Just not exactly sure how taking it from 8psi at room temp to atmospheric pressure at 50 will affect the beer long-term. Thoughts/opinions? Maybe I am stuck with it as is and should just keg it?

The beer will be carbonated to saturation at 8psi, room temp. Changing to atmospheric and 50°F and the beer will degas CO2 until it is saturated again.

The airlock on a glass carboy is not going to be airtight. If it was me I would pressure transfer into a keg and then lager there, I see no reason to use the carboy.

The airlock on a glass carboy is not going to be airtight. If it was me I would pressure transfer into a keg and then lager there, I see no reason to use the carboy.

Good idea and a nice, simple approach. I tend to overcomplicate things.

In the future, if I wanted to bottle a beer that I pressure-fermented at room temperature, would it be wise to degas the fermzilla to atmospheric pressure, then bottle as normal (with sugar)? Seems like any calculation I might try to make to account for existing carbonation in the beer might be a challenge.

What yeast did you use for the pressure fermentation. I just did my first batch in the fermzilla with M84 yeast at 20 psi almost a week ago and the sample I tasted was terrible I am hoping it cleans itself up

What yeast did you use for the pressure fermentation. I just did my first batch in the fermzilla with M84 yeast at 20 psi almost a week ago and the sample I tasted was terrible I am hoping it cleans itself up
I used Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. I believe that's different from the one you used (I think it's equivalent to M76 though I've never used/seen that brand at my LHBS so it's a guess)

Overall I'm not enamored with the two beers I've done with this yeast under room temp pressure fermentation (Marzen, doppelbock), but I don't think it's related to the process. There were no off flavors or fusel alcohols--just kind of an unpleasant, highly malt-forward taste. I was looking for something much cleaner and crisper, but in other threads I was directed to use a different yeast, that 2206 has been described as being a less clean/crisp lager yeast.

It did improve after about 4 weeks in the keg at 38F, but still misses the mark for my tastebuds. Curious to hear how this one changes for you over time since it's so young currently.

Back