Ok guys, krausen for how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Last Saturday I brewed a Private Rye Brown Ale extract recipe from Northern Brewer. I pitched Safale us-05 yeast after wort dropped to 65 degrees. Krausen formed about 18 hours later along with a very active bubbler.

Here it is Friday and there is still lots of krausen along with bubbles every 2 seconds. Usually the krausen and bubbles are gone after 3 days when I brew Caribou Slobber. Btw, I use a glass carboy for fermentation.

I would think the duration of the Krausen depends on the amount of fermentables to be eaten by the yeast. This is what it seems like for my past beers as well. Higher OG means longer Krausen. It also probably depends on the yeast and its speed.

18 hours after Saturday means you've only had a krausen for like 4-5 days. I don't think that's long at all from some of the ones I've seen. Usually gone after 3 days? Mine is rarely gone after three days.

As long as there is CO2 escaping the airlock I would assume the krausen will remain.
I have had fermentations complete in 3 days and I also have a batch that is still bubbling (slowly now) after 2 weeks...

So while it may seem like its taking too long, I dont think there is any definite answer as far as "how long" the krausen will or should be around.

Luckily for you, you are using a glass carboy so you can SEE when the krausen drops

If you have a towel under the carboy you can give it a quick spin. It should help break the krausen so it drops faster. Even then, I've ended up racking underneath the krausen with some yeasts.

Another cause would be if fermentation temp is lower, resulting in a longer fermentation.

There are a LOT of variables. Already mentioned are sugars and temperature. Other variable include survival rate of the pitched yeast, nutrition of the wort and dissolved oxygen available in the wort. Each yeast cell is a living organism and will behave differently. Because there are billions in there, we can apply averages and make predictions on how they will behave but you never know for sure until the job is done.

If you have a towel under the carboy you can give it a quick spin. It should help break the krausen so it drops faster. Even then, I've ended up racking underneath the krausen with some yeasts.

Another cause would be if fermentation temp is lower, resulting in a longer fermentation.

I'll try giving it a spin to help break-up the krausen. Btw, I keep the temp between 64-66 during fermentation.

Back