Ohmbrew Automations Fermostat support and locks up on splash screen on boot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermonster

Reaction score
Anyone using a Fermostat?

Anyone getting any contact from Ohmbrew Automations who make it?

It's dead air for me, on their forum, via their support email.

Fermostat, great promise, great features, great hardware, crappy firmware..................

Any ideas on if this company is still operating, supporting product......

I've been using version 1.24x for 18 months now. A bug which a beta came out for when I first got the unit seems to be still not released into new firmware. The bug meant that you can't load programs so basically just been manually changing temp, which is missing one of the key features that I brought this for.

Now though after 18 months, the unit has just stopped working. These are the details:

* fermented out a very nice stout over two weeks
* started to drop temp manually one degree per day
* came to drop temp again and pressing buttons didn't make the screen bright
* pressing buttons left the screen on the start home screen with temps
* restarted unit after leaving off for a while
* after restart, unit locks on splash screen with logo
* reloaded firmware 1.24 onto SD card, but unit still just displays splash screen and isn't reinstalling firmware
* I have successfully loaded firmware on this before without any troubles following your instructions

Any other similar experiences, or fixes for a locked splash screen?

The unit is basically a paper weight right now. Anything I can do to fix it?

Was recommending to my local homebrew shop in New Zealand to start stocking the unit, but no firmware update and now a crashed unit so not sure....

Multiple complaints on vendor's forum like this http://ohmbrewautomations.com/ohmbrewforum/index.php?topic=240.0

No responses to support emails

Any fixes, contact with maker? Experiences?

$350 New Zealand money now not delivering anything. That's a lot for a temp control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any experience with this product, but am wondering if you have tried calling the manufacturer? This might help you determine if they are still in business, at least.

I bought one when they first became available and have had no problems at all. I will admit that I didn't install the last few version updates though. Maybe try loading an older version of the firmware?

It does look like the support is gone for this product, which is shame because I really like it. Might have to go back to the STC type of controller if it dies.

Thanks raysmithx and Pappers for your suggestions

They are still selling the units online, so I'm guessing they still trade. No phone number online through. I've got two email addresses, support forums and a support ticket notification from a service desk so somethings still happening.

raysmithx, agree it's a great product. Real shame. I can only download firmware version 1.24x - Released: 8/1/15 but get the same issue as that's the same version I already had. Do you have an earlier version you can share?

Disappointed to bin a piece of gear that was so good.

Back