OH Woodworking Keezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I have practically finished my keezer build, but I am stuck on the tapbox. I built stock that's 19" wide that I'd love to dovetail, but my dovetail machine can only handle stock that's up to 12" long. I'm wondering if there are any brewers/builders on this forum in the OH area (specifically Cleveland, but I'd be willing to drive) that may be able to help. I had an actual woodworker help me throughout this project, but now I feel stranded. I've been sitting on this last piece for over a month and can't finish my project without it.

Any help would be appreciated

You could cut them by hand or you can do box joints on the Tablesaw or router

That's the problem, at this point I have 0 equipment (or knowledge of how to do that, which I can acquire), but the equipment is a problem

Go to your local woodworking supply store like a rockler they may be able to hook you up with someone who could do it for you

I went to Woodcraft, they put me in touch with someone who, after I've described the situation to them, has not returned my calls. I'm getting really antsy, so I'm looking for a direct contact.

Why dovetails? Those matter in furniture that is going to be subjected to some stress, like drawers in a chest. You are (presumably) not going to be slamming the tapbox. Know anyone with a biscuit joiner? That should give more than enough strength for your purpose. Though I have one, for my keezer collar all I did was 45* miters on the table saw, Titebond glue, clamped them, then glued blocks inside the corners for added glue surface for strength. The blocks add some peace of mind, but are probably overkill. I made it only using selected cedar 2x4s from Lowes. If it were not for the flowing beer I would be embarrassed by the woodworking. I did bevel the corners for show. It does the job I still steadily get compliments on the collar. .

Much of the time dovetails are done as an aesthetic choice or a display of skill. If you just want to have a working keezer, glue and some evenly spaced screws, or even just brads, will get you going. In your circumstances I'd buy a box of colored star drive screws (meant for decking) which will probably come with a Torx bit in the box. If you place them symmetrically it will look good enough, and the beer can flow! However, if you really want dovetails, here your go: http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?ArticleId=249

They show fine tools, which of course they sell. You could do it with a passable back saw and sliding T bevel, which won't cost that much. By the time you finish the 19 in box you'll have enough practice to be pretty good at it! Or maybe by that point you'll be buying a replacement) plain board and some star drive screws.....

I'd love to see pictures when you are done.

What tools and equipment do you have, or have access to? There are many options for decorative or structural joints. A lot of which can be accomplished with only a table saw and some patience. Or a hand saw, chisels, some clamps, and even more patience!!

by the way i am a very well equipped and experienced carpenter/cabinet maker and i just poured a beer from a picnic tap in a standard fridge. always remember "Form follows function"

I do understand the purpose of dovetails. In this instance, they are purely decorative. Of course there will be pictures. I did an awful job taking in process photos, which is part of the reason I haven't shared anything yet, but I will post it when it's done.

Besides some home improvement tools, I only have a router. Nothing I would trust to make any sort of precision cuts on this yellow/purple heart laminate wood I have. Mitering and gluing it is getting more and more tempting (if I could find a chop saw)

Back