Oh No!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_man

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was my first all green attempt. Mash went okay, lauter went okay, boil went off OK when it came time to cool wort i had a problem. Got distracted, looked and noticed more than 3/4 a gallon of water leaked from the immersion chiller dischrge hose clamped connection into my 5 gallon batch. I am tempted to reboil and re-add hops ( from the batch i was going to make tomorrow). OG dropped from 1.045 down to 1.032. Dang! I will recheck fittings before any brew in the future, better yet, solder a hose fitting. Suggestions?

You could boil it longer, to drive off that water. It will lead to a more bitter beer (since you're boiling your hops longer), so don't add any more hops other than late additions. It will lead to more kettle caramelization, which may or may not be what you want. But at 1.032, you're looking at a pretty weak beer. The other option would be to add some DME to bring your gravity back up.

The only problem with continuing to boil would be the continued isomerization of iso-alpha acids, making the beer perhaps too bitter. However, if the only hop additions were early ones, the conversion has plateaued I would just boil off all of the water that leaked in and then make sure the chiller is sealed for the next time.

Edit: Calypso posted just before me and he is right about the DME option as well

So boil some DME cool it and add to wort, then pitch yeast? I do have a lb. how long of a boil?

Yeah, that would be fine. I'd bring a couple of cups of water to a boil, add your DME, bring it back to a boil, and then cool and it and add it.

You'll probably want to at least bring to a boil the full pot of wort, since the cooling water that got in was not sterile

Back