Oh no, I boiled my specialty malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cormi3r

Reaction score
OK...

I am in the process of making Cheesy's Caramel Cream Ale and I boiled my caramel malt, will there be anything more than a color change and dryness from tanins? Is this batch of beer going to be ruined? I ended up putting the Caramel malt in about 15 minutes into the boil and recent readings indicated to me that I should have steeped the specialty malts first, then boiled my DMEs. Any advice would be apprciated.

The batch is currently in my fermenter and the fermenter is bubbling away, so I will have beer soon, I just wonder what I should expect since I boiled as opposed to steeped my specialty malt.

If I understood you correctley, you added that malt 15 minutes into your boil? How long did you boil? If you boiled for an hour you stand a chance of having some astringency. Is that they only grain you boiled? How much of it was called for in your recipe? You might be alright. Most of what I've read about boiling grains (for any length of time) is that it will extract tannins from the grain husks and add an astringent, very dry mouthfeel. Let it ferment, I will tell you that the first thing most of the more experienced folks around here will tell you is NOT to dump it out. Ride it out and try to relax.

lgtg said:
If I understood you correctley, you added that malt 15 minutes into your boil? How long did you boil? If you boiled for an hour you stand a chance of having some astringency. Is that they only grain you boiled? How much of it was called for in your recipe?
Yes I added the caramel malt 15 minutes into the boil and I did a full hour, the caramel malt was in the boil for 45 minutes (although I turned down the heat because it looked like it would boil over a couple times). It was the only added malt (1 pound Caramel 60L) along with some hops. It is fermenting like crazy and it even smells kinda nice (a little yeasty, but today is day two in the fermenter so I think that is to be expected).

I guess I have nothing to lose by letting it ride out and see what happens. Thanks for talking me down. The guys at the home brew store looked at my recipe and said it wasn't too complex, but they normally recommend a kit with a can of syrup for the first go at home brew. Oh well I guess you gotta make mistakes and learn from them.

I'll post an update after I get the reults so maybe I can help people realize why steeping is necessary prior to boiling.

bradsul said:
Since it's already fermenting I would let it finish up and give it a taste when you rack it. If you don't like it, well nothing teaches like experience. :)

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this one finishes:D

Dan

With an "oopsy" like this, you're better off waiting and seeing how it turns out. Could be OK, although it's not a technique many would recommend. You'll get some benefit from the vanilla and lactose drowning out odd flavors.

Caramel Tea Ale? But with that much vanilla I suspect there won't be a problem.

Do keep us posted.

david_42 said:
Caramel Tea Ale? But with that much vanilla I suspect there won't be a problem.

Do keep us posted.

As promised, I am updating the progress of this beer and it appears david_42 you are right. I bottled the batch yesterday and despite the flatness of the beer the flavor was pretty nice. I think the vanilla has taken over any issues I may have had from boiling instead of steeping the caramel malt.

I will update one last time once the bottles have sat for a week and I can only assume the beer will be better with time and carbonation.

I boiled the grains in my first extract+grain brew, and it turned out alright. Sounds like you're finding the same thing.

HOWEVER, you will almost always get better results by steeping first and removing the grain before the boil.

I am fine making mistakes as long as I learn from them. Fortunately the beer wasn't affected, but I wil always remember to steep now. I really enjoy this board, the people are helpful and not EACs.

cormi3r, you are certainly luckier than I. On my first all grain batch I boiled some grain bits (didn't filter them all out) and the astringency is barely palatable.

ilikestuff said:
Did you bottle after 5 days?

No I bottled after a week. I had considered a secondary, but the clarity of this one is not that important to me.

eviltwinofjoni said:
cormi3r, you are certainly luckier than I. On my first all grain batch I boiled some grain bits (didn't filter them all out) and the astringency is barely palatable.
Oh I realize I dogged a bullet here. I do consider myself lucky and this is a mistake I will never make again.

Sorry, I'm bad at adding small numbers :drunk: . Did you take gravity readings, because without a secondary, 2 weeks in the primary is usually recommended to make sure fermentation is really done.

Even if there aren't any bubbles in the airlock anymore, the yeasts still may be fermenting a little bit, adding priming sugar too that and bottling may cause a little too much to be going on in those bottles. If you bottle too soon it can cause some problems (bottle bombs, over carbonation). You will probably be OK, don't let me worry you, just FYI next time.

I'm always willing to listen and accept any advice someone with more experience can offer. If I have a bottle bomb, I will think about this post. :eek:

I thought the 1-2-3 rule was always in effect (and I was just taking out the 2).

It's just a better idea to take the 1 out of the 1-2-3 method. Anyway, I'm sure it's going to be fine, I've messed up pretty badly at bottling time and never had one go off on me.

My first 2 batches I bottled after 7 days and had no problems. Secondary is arguable. From my experience its great for clarity, allowing flavors to mellow, and if you have a long slow fermentation, then the extra time is needed. But, my first two were fermenting like crazy the first 2 days, and were done on the 3rd day... FG didn't drop again over the next 4 days.

I always use a secondary now though, just for the aging/clarity and/or flavor factor and since I started going AG and using liquid yeast, fermentation seems to take longer.

Well apparently the beer gods were looking down on me 10 days ago. I made the error that started this thread (boiled my specialty malt), fermented for a week (not the recommended two weeks if not using a secondary) and bottled my Caramel Cream Ale on Sat. (3/31).

I decided to test one out tonight so when I got home from work I confidently grabbed a 16 oz. bottle from the storage closet and put it in the fridge. I have to say I am very happy with the result. I guess I might be a little bias (like the proud father of an ugly baby) but I didn't taste any astringent qualities, the vanilla is very obvious (maybe a bit too much, but my LHB guy said it was a lot), the carbonation is not as much as I'd like (but heck it has only been bottled for 3 days), head retension was good, color was a rich caramel cloudy delicious looking brown. I fing love it. There I said it.

Thanks for the recipe Cheesefood, its a winner and thank you to anyone who has offered sage advice along the way. I am trying a Heffe or a Bitter in a couple weeks.

Some of my buddys at work are anxious to try it, but I'm not so sure I want to give it away. :mug:

Sounds good man. I'm thinking about trying this one soon, and it's always good to hear that people like it. Congrats, and now you can RDWHAHB.

Back