Oh boys, where to start....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natebomb

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be given a decent setup for what I want to start kegging beer and sooner or later build a keggerator. I have several questions but will start basic. First off, this is a list of what I was given:

20lb CO2 tank
4 corny kegs, 2 with sprite still in them, they're all coke kegs
2 glass carbouys
bucket
a plastic faucet
a large tupperware tub full of various tubes and hoses and other misc. things.

My first question is, of the kegs that have liquid in them, (3 of them), how do I leak out the CO2? I assume this must be done before I open them to dump and clean them? 1 of them has a release type valve on the top but the other 2 have the same thing only without anything to lift to release anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don't dump the suckers. Get your bottles together and you'll have enough sprite to last all summer long.

You'll probably want to go ahead and get o-ring replacement kits for the kegs. The soda flavorings permeate the rubber (especially root beer) can cause weird tastes in your beer.

Don't dump the suckers. Get your bottles together and you'll have enough sprite to last all summer long.

It isn't sprite, it is sprite syrup. Even if the OP went through the trouble of mixing it with water and carbonating it he would have to pasteurize the bottles after filling. At some point it is easier to just go buy some sprite if you want sprite.

+1 to not trying to salvage the sprite.

I have a couple coke kegs, and had trouble with the purge valve also. Just can't get it to push pull or turn. I got a gas disconnect, and did not connect anything to it. I keep it in my keezer, and if I need to relieve pressure I just press it on. Works like a champ.

My two cents on the
large tupperware tub full of various tubes and hoses and other misc. things.
Pitch the hoses and get fresh ones. Tubing is not that expensive, you will more then likely spend more time sanitizing, sizing, prepping and detangling the miscellaneous tubes then is worth it. Any SOLID pieces (ie disconnects, shanks, taps, etc.) are relatively quick and easy to clean/sanitize, unlike the tubing, pliable stuff (yes that is the technical term ;) ) is just NOT worth the hassle. Just my opinion YMMV

CHEERS!

It isn't sprite, it is sprite syrup. Even if the OP went through the trouble of mixing it with water and carbonating it he would have to pasteurize the bottles after filling. At some point it is easier to just go buy some sprite if you want sprite.

No, Corny kegs are used in pre mix systems, which means it's Sprite in the kegs. Syrup for post mix systems comes in bags.

Back