OG Reading question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
somewhat noob question. I have a theif that i put the liquid into a big test tube for getting my OG after the boil. When i put the hydrometer in there is usually an inch or 2 of trub that eventually settles to the bottom. Should i filter this out before i take a reading. the hydrometer seems to be floating above what settles. but just wondering. thanks.

Totally normal. No worries

image.jpg

It's best to have as clean a sample as possible when taking readings. Too much trub and it will definitely throw off your reading.

Generally speaking, if you're having trouble getting a reading without a bunch of suspended yeast and trub in it - there's no reason to even take a reading yet. Things are obviously still happening in there. After 5-7 days, things should settle down nicely - and that's when you want to take your first reading.

I posted before I saw that picture. You'll get an accurate reading with that.

I disagree with snow. You're measuring the density of the fluid, not the particles suspended within it. unless the sample is thick with sediment I don't see it being a problem. Still, a cleaner, clear sample is easier to read and gives you certainy nothing has settled on the hydrometer. Yours is just fine. Kyle

Yeah. suspended material doesn't effect gravity. Only what's dissolved in the liquid. In this case sugars versus lighter alcohol.

I disagree with snow...unless the sample is thick with sediment I don't see it being a problem. Still, a cleaner, clear sample is easier to read and gives you certainy nothing has settled on the hydrometer. Yours is just fine. Kyle

Pretty sure we agree entirely.

If it's just a few floaters, I'm sure it won't make any difference whatsoever. When I first read the post I pictured a wine thief full of trub.

Latest posts

Back