OG off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buschbrew

Reaction score
Im sure this is a no brainer for all you vetran brewers, I just need someone to put my fears to rest.

I brewed a 10gal all grain batch of a blonde last night. My pre-boil was dead on at 1.036 however my starting gravity was OFF to say the least. Estimated was 1.046 Im sitting at 1.021? I even let the sample sit over night.

I collected the sample as usual at the end of the transfer from kettle to fermenter. Is there any way I just obtained a REALLY diluted sample?

Thanks in advance.

Were the temps correct? It's impossible for your gravity to DROP over the course of the boil. As the wort is boiled, water evaporates, increasing the density of the sugars and increasing the OG. Either your refract/hydro is off or you the samples weren't at the correct temperature for the tests.

If you had a reading at pre-boil of 1.036 and post boil at 1.021, either your hydrometer got screwed up in between or you sample was bad.

If you had a reading at pre-boil of 1.036 and post boil at 1.021, either your hydrometer got screwed up in between or you sample was bad.

thats what I thought. Hydrometer is dead on! Ive never seen this before. Grain bill was on everything was correct. So im hoping it was just a bad sample. Thanks

Back