Og/fg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donutz

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my fourth batch of beer today!!! But this brings up a question! This was the third clone that I have done. One was two hearted ale, one was Stone Ruination, and this one is fat tire clone. My very first beer was from a kit and I really didn't know anything about anything. Anyhow, on all of the beers that I have brewed, my OG and FG are always higher than what it says in the magazine. (I'm using BYO 250 recipe magazine.). Does anyone else seem to run into this problem? For this beer, it's OG was supposed to be 1.050 and FG was 1.013. My readings were 1.058 OG and 1.017 FG. It isn't too much higher and of course, I'm coming out on top with this since actually has a higher ABV... but even using temp conversions, I'm still running higher. So it just makes me wonder. My Stone ruination was a LOT higher that what the magazine said. I have yet to see one come close to what they say it should be or even lesser than!
Ideas, hints, tips, comments, or whatever is much appreciated!

You are either having high mash efficiencies or are boiling off more than expected from a rigorous boil. Or both. It's a problem I wouldn't mind having if I end up with the amount of beer I have in the end, and I am consistent with my numbers so know what to expect. ;)

I wouldn't worry much about it, maybe you will like this beer slightly sweeter and a little more body. I always like the higher alcohol.

Even the most experienced homebrewer finds it difficult to hit an OG and FG exactly on the mark every time. However, if your OG is higher it is reasonable to assume that if you use the same/comparable yeast to the clone it will stop fermenting at a higher FG. Just like a lower OG may finish lower than target FG.

It is a game and part of the beauty of making beer. Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

Cheers and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah if it all grain I'd say you are just getting better efficiency than what the used as a default for writing the recipe. I think most recipes are written assuming 70%efficiency you are probably gettin better than that. Grain crush, mash temps/process.

If extract I'd say your final volume would be slightly less than expected thus increasing your OG.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Back