OG and Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcook73

Reaction score
I've been having similar issues from my first several batches and and wondering what I might be doing wrong.
I have two questions:
1. I follow the instructions on my kit almost 100% ..as close as I can get.
I never seem to hit the advertised OG ..normally I'm just a little off (my last batch was supposed to be: 1.054, but I was sitting at 1.050) what could be the issue here?

2. Although I know that the airlock bubbling is NOT a sign of fermentation being complete, shouldn't it bubble for more then 3 days (4 if I'm LUCKY)?
If this is normal ..good If not, again what could I be doing wrong ..

Thanks for the help ..I can count on this forum for most of my issues!!
RC

I'll add the questions: what yeast and what's the fermentation temp? Sometimes 3 days and the bulk of attenuation is over.

1) If you're doing extract then your top off water and your more concentrated wort probably aren't mixed thoroughly. If you're doing all grain then you might have some efficiency issues that you need to work out but honestly missing by 0.004 on your first couple brews is not a huge issue.

2) I've seen the bulk of the fermentation last anywhere from 48 hrs to almost two weeks. Depends on the beer style and the yeast. I'm sure your fermentation is fine. Check the FG to see if its stabilized and to see how close it is to what the instructions say.

We really need to know if you are doing an extract or all grain kit. Hard to say either way for only 4 points off. Note it and keep working at it.
As for fermentation activity, it also depends. Yeast strain, temp, ect... Its ok most likely. If you have the means you can take a measurement to see where you are at. I would not worry. Let it ride.

Back