Official Untappd Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine that they are making more money off ads and verified venue revenue now then the supporters fees. The goal is always more people using the app to drive up ad costs. Catering to 1% doesn't really do that.

Well yeah, badges, ads and verified is the biggest revenue stream they have, but I'm guessing that they're also taking the requests of paid supporters into account when making changes.

I used to do the supporter thing, but I never used any of the benefits, so I stopped.

I liked how with the previous filter update you could finally see how many beers you'd had from a particular brewery/country/style. This seems to have gone now too.

I liked how with the previous filter update you could finally see how many beers you'd had from a particular brewery/country/style. This seems to have gone now too.

That option is in 3.0 and you can find it much like you did before.

1. Go to your profile.
2. Right below wish list is a bunch of options. Click the first one titled Beers.
3. Click on the little settings button next to the search bar. You can break it down by Brewery/Country/Style.

Ok, now that I walked myself through the process, I notice that the actual number is no longer shown. If you really need that specific number immediately, I can see your gripe.

edit: You can kinda get there if you sort by checkin (most to least), but that overall number you're wanting is gone.

That option is in 3.0 and you can find it much like you did before.

1. Go to your profile.
2. Right below wish list is a bunch of options. Click the first one titled Beers.
3. Click on the little settings button next to the search bar. You can break it down by Brewery/Country/Style.

Ok, now that I walked myself through the process, I notice that the actual number is no longer shown. If you really need that specific number immediately, I can see your gripe.

edit: You can kinda get there if you sort by checkin (most to least), but that overall number you're wanting is gone.
Yeah, the number is still shown on the desktop version so there's that.

I get a kick out of the fact there's a specific feature now which allows me to tell the whole world I buy my beer at Ralph's supermarket.

I also get a kick out of the people who select a serving style despite posting a pic of said style. Oh, really? You're drinking from a can? I would never have guessed by THE PHOTO OF THE CAN YOU POSTED.

I also get a kick out of the people who select a serving style despite posting a pic of said style. Oh, really? You're drinking from a can? I would never have guessed by THE PHOTO OF THE CAN YOU POSTED.

I'm unlikely to use the serving style very often, BUT if I were going to, being able to collate the data based on that field (when I download my data) might be something I'd be interested in. OR I could imagine someone doing a "ratings on cans vs bottles for the same beer" data analysis.

In such a scenario, where parsing the picture is not simple, this person is doing the right thing.

What do you people want? Too much complaining about UNTAPPD, just enjoy it for what it is. If you hate it or think you could do better, create your own app.

To paraphrase great American author James A Baldwin, "I love [untappd] more than any other [app] in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually."

Or would you prefer that if people don't like something, they shut their mouths and just suffer in silence? If so, seems a bit hypocritical. ("Too much complaining about complaining on Talkbeer, just enjoy it for what it is!")

I imagine that they are making more money off ads and verified venue revenue now then the supporters fees. The goal is always more people using the app to drive up ad costs. Catering to 1% doesn't really do that.
Especially the verified venue revenue. I hear those bucks are significant.

I've enjoyed Untappd for a few years now. I think it's a normal progression to want to pack more features into the thing, and to want to make revenue off of the work you've put into a (decently good) idea. My issue is that the new update has really made the app sluggish for me. I think now that the UI has a lot more going on, the computational overhead is significantly higher, making things less responsive overall. I've found myself using it a lot less since the update.

I've enjoyed Untappd for a few years now. I think it's a normal progression to want to pack more features into the thing, and to want to make revenue off of the work you've put into a (decently good) idea. My issue is that the new update has really made the app sluggish for me. I think now that the UI has a lot more going on, the computational overhead is significantly higher, making things less responsive overall. I've found myself using it a lot less since the update.
Its been running fine on my iPhone. If you use Android, well, sorry to hear about it.

Its been running fine on my iPhone. If you use Android, well, sorry to hear about it.

Alienating users of one of the two main OS available for cell phones is generally not a good marketing strategy

Edit: That being said, it could have more to do with device hardware and not "iPhone vs Android." Regardless, it worked well before the update and lags now

The update added some things that make this better for me.

1. You can have the app default to the feed when booting up instead of the ugly menu.
2. They added back the ability to change the beer you've checked in.
3. Images are now centered and don't look like butt when scrolling through the feed.

Groups still load incredibly slow and selecting a check in location is not as intuitive as it could be.

Capture_2017_03_08_08_29_55.png

Sooooo basically they made it like it was lol that must have a been an interesting meeting

Mine freezes a lot since the update so I think they actually made it worse.

I've noticed it always bugs out whenever there is an update, not just this time.

I'm glad they added the option to default to the news feed. I still find it's slow when loading comments/toasts. That was par for course with previous version too.

Sidebar: I find myself moving away from it slightly (perhaps because I've now been posting to the DDT? Ha). I'm over the social aspect. Several years ago, I was all about it.

But it's great for helping me remember what I can't... "Oh, I don't think I've had this!" *looks on Untappd* *tried the beer a week ago* :rolleyes: I also like it for (trusted) friends' feedback on beers with which I'm not familiar, and to help me leave notes about things I really like/don't like.

The social aspect for me is seeing if any onyone in my area is drinking something new/cool at a brewpub and what they thought of it. That way I know where to go for a good beer. Other than that I use it to keep tabs on what I've had and what I thought of it

The only reason the app is still on my phone is because local bars use it to update their tap lists.

I haven't checked into a beer or looked at others checkins since January. It became a chore more than an joy. Not the first app this has happened to and it won't be the last either.

The main reason I use it is to track what beers I've had. For the most part though I'd rather just get rid of it because it seems like most of my friends have gone full "e-peen" aspect of who is drinking what cool beer. They don't really interact unless the beer is cool or they have FOMO.

The main reason I use it is to track what beers I've had. For the most part though I'd rather just get rid of it because it seems like most of my friends have gone full "e-peen" aspect of who is drinking what cool beer. They don't really interact unless the beer is cool or they have FOMO.

I pretty much never check comments or look at what other people are drinking for this reason. I just use it as a log of what beers I've had. I don't rate and only put in locations to put in the stupid locations pulled from Foursquare like my neighborhood pool or the local car wash.

The social aspect for me is seeing if any onyone in my area is drinking something new/cool at a brewpub and what they thought of it. That way I know where to go for a good beer. Other than that I use it to keep tabs on what I've had and what I thought of it

Same here. I definitely use it more for a personal log of what I've had and what I thought of it. I also enjoy seeing local friends check in to cool stuff nearby, too.

Side note: your avatar is magnificent.

Did I see something about a March Madness badge or am I just imagining it? Can't seem to find it anywhere now. Wonder if the NCAA had a problem with it so they got rid of it.

No badge. Untappd does a brewery bracket that is based on checkins. This is either the second or third year.

I pretty much never check comments or look at what other people are drinking for this reason. I just use it as a log of what beers I've had. I don't rate and only put in locations to put in the stupid locations pulled from Foursquare like my neighborhood pool or the local car wash.
i've checked in some pretty nice beers at Chipotle across the street :D

i'm still annoyed that third party keyboards on my iphone (gboard for example) suck with untappd. It doesn't push up the screen automatically to show you what you're typing unless you're using the stock IOS keyboard...

i'm still annoyed that third party keyboards on my iphone (gboard for example) suck with untappd. It doesn't push up the screen automatically to show you what you're typing unless you're using the stock IOS keyboard...
If it makes you feel any better, gboard has issues on Android as well.

As far as I can tell, this has always been an issue, and I understand a fix for it is on the roadmap. There was a brief period in the beta of this latest version where 3rd party keyboards were just straight up disabled. I consider that way worse - I'd rather use Swype with a bug than be forced to always use the native keyboard...

I signed up on Untappd a few years ago, but just started using it on a regular basis semi-recently (144 check ins). I'll check in the first two or three checks ins of the evening, but after that I find myself not caring and end up just socializing with whomever I'm drinking with. I lurk it a ton though, and always find it fun to see what/where others are drinking.

Back