Official Transient Artisan Ales Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only gripe is that I couldnt take off work to be there at the party, that wasnt enough notice... one week?
he's been doing short notice due to his size, can you imagine if he posted weeks in advance what he was doing? The ran straight till about 7pm not stopping once just continuing to swipe credit cards...

he's been doing short notice due to his size, can you imagine if he posted weeks in advance what he was doing? The ran straight till about 7pm not stopping once just continuing to swipe credit cards...

Edit: disregard this, was obviously mistaken....

It is what it is, 2-3 weeks shouldnt be too hard.
A heads up or something would have been nice. I'd imagine something like,

"hey members, thinking of having a big party/bottle release around Memorial day weekend"
"might want to request off work, or clear your schedules"

People are extremely busy and a weeks notice is not enough for most. Its not a huge deal, but hopefully we will get notice farther in advance.
I figured I just missed out on emails or whatever, or a facebook post, twitter post. etc. because I suck at communicating, but apparently not. I talked to a few people and they had similar situations. Couldnt get off work/ or had prior engagements but would have loved to gotten to drink up there with everyone and enjoy the party/celebration.

Pretty crazy how much money Chris was able to raise for charity - awesome stuff as usual. really cool to see him giving back.

Last edited:
It is what it is, 2-3 weeks shouldnt be too hard.
A heads up or something would have been nice. I'd imagine something like,

"hey members, thinking of having a big party/bottle release around Memorial day weekend"
"might want to request off work, or clear your schedules"

People are extremely busy and a weeks notice is not enough for most. Its not a huge deal, but hopefully we will get notice farther in advance.
I figured I just missed out on emails or whatever, or a facebook post, twitter post. etc. because I suck at communicating, but apparently not. I talked to a few people and they had similar situations. Couldnt get off work/ or had prior engagements but would have loved to gotten to drink up there with everyone and enjoy the party/celebration.

Pretty crazy how much money Chris was able to raise for charity - awesome stuff as usual. really cool to see him giving back.

I don't think I would have wanted to be at the party based on turnout.

All that said, I swear we got a heads up to keep the day clear in IL member emails a few weeks back

From the May 1st membership email, subject line Illinois Members (First release info and Michigan Wild Ale Release) (also in the MI members email sent the same day):

2017 Buckley and 2016 Kentucky
As many of you know, our beloved brew dog Buckley is turning 3 years young at the end of the month. As before, we will be celebrating our brewery's mascot with the release of his namesake beer and the bourbon barrel aged version (along with many variants on tap). The release will take place the last Saturday of the Month and (so long as this reservation system works well for Anachronism) we will be doing something similar for those beers. This years batch and last years barrel aged version were made in Michigan, and that is where they will stay. None will be released in Illinois as we do not yet have permission to distribute across state lines.

It was the last paragraph of the email.

From the May 1st membership email, subject line Illinois Members (First release info and Michigan Wild Ale Release) (also in the MI members email sent the same day):

2017 Buckley and 2016 Kentucky
As many of you know, our beloved brew dog Buckley is turning 3 years young at the end of the month. As before, we will be celebrating our brewery's mascot with the release of his namesake beer and the bourbon barrel aged version (along with many variants on tap). The release will take place the last Saturday of the Month and (so long as this reservation system works well for Anachronism) we will be doing something similar for those beers. This years batch and last years barrel aged version were made in Michigan, and that is where they will stay. None will be released in Illinois as we do not yet have permission to distribute across state lines.

It was the last paragraph of the email.

Lol, well I clearly suck and missed that part.
Thanks. just went back and checked my email. Its right there. shame on me
Excited to try this years batches

if there is anyone who is going up to bridgman today or tomorrow who can pickup my reservation, please let me know. i can send payment/label right away and get a box of pnw goodies together soon. thanks.

if there is anyone who is going up to bridgman today or tomorrow who can pickup my reservation, please let me know. i can send payment/label right away and get a box of pnw goodies together soon. thanks.

I am going tomorrow and could help you out, if you are still looking for someone. I won't be able to ship out until 6/9 at the earliest but am happy to pick up, if you don't mind waiting until then.

Anyone know the deal with filling 750ml swingtop growlers with other brewery logos? Is that allowed?

I'm not positive, but I don't think it's a big deal. I've taken a 2L RR swingtop in there a couple times, and while they weren't filling any growlers both times (FML), they didn't say anything about not being able to fill it anyway.

I'm sure someone has a more definitive answer though.

Anyone know the deal with filling 750ml swingtop growlers with other brewery logos? Is that allowed?
FYI: Transient will fill other brewery's growlers. They also had those funky looking HF/RR 2L growlers that were so hot a few years ago with Transient logos available in addition to their branded 750mL.

Honeystone cans sold out sometime before I got there Sunday. I thought that can release was suppose to be a bigger batch than previous, so was surprised to see it last less than a day.

Some quiet time and thought I'd kick off my Father's Day celebration.

This was great. Clean, crisp, and refreshing. I had high hopes for this and while it was on the mild side, the hope was met. Thanks again PHBoiler for picking them up for me.

Happy Father's Day to the fellow Dads here.

Da9EboQh.jpg

Last edited:
Keeping the Transient vibe going.

5VywCGmh.jpg
How's it tasting out of the bottle? The draft pour that I had was a bit over oaked and a hint too boozy - similar to the complaints I had about the draft version of Bad Hombre. Bad Hombre is excellent out of the bottle, so I'm hoping that translates to Kentuckley also.

How's it tasting out of the bottle? The draft pour that I had was a bit over oaked and a hint too boozy - similar to the complaints I had about the draft version of Bad Hombre. Bad Hombre is excellent out of the bottle, so I'm hoping that translates to Kentuckley also.

I certainly did not find the bottle over-oaked or boozy. To the contrary, what I enjoy most about Kentuckley for the second straight year is that it is balanced. I have not had it in draft but am curious to try.

I was not aware of this but agree with you on the draft.. so now I gotta open me some bottles.

Opened both versions an Agnitio yesterday. Stellar beers: dry, brett-y, clean, crisp. Not tart, which I was originally afraid of because some of Chris' saisons veer too far into that acidic tart territory. Both were excellent, and nearly identical. The Hailstorm version was a big gusher, I lost 1/4 of the bottle. The Transient version was perfectly carbonated.

If I had to choose which one was better, it would be like splitting hairs, but I'd probably give the slight edge to Hailstorm over Transient's version, only because there seemed to be more brett presence and created a more drier product (at this point).

Last edited:
Opened both versions an Agnitio yesterday. Stellar beers: dry, brett-y, clean, crisp. Not tart, which I was originally afraid of because some of Chris' saisons veer too far into that acidic tart territory. Both were excellent, and nearly identical. The Hailstorm version was a big gusher, I lost 1/4 of the bottle. The Transient version was perfectly carbonated.

If I had to choose which one was better, it would be like splitting hairs, but I'd probably give the slight edge to Hailstorm over Transient's version, only because there seemed to be more brett presence and created a more drier product (at this point).
The Hs version is what won the Fobab award as well.

i agree with this review completely, though neither of the bottles i opened were gushers.

Juice is Loose drop today, along with the Czech pilsner they released yesterday

Last edited:
Juice was draft only, my wife and I stopped in today with our dog after hanging out at the warren dunes beach for 4 hours. After I took my first sip of refraction (which was amazing) our dog knocked my glass over and it shattered on the floor. I got up bought a few bottles and cans, closed out, and left lol.

I'm amazed by parents and dog owners that can manage to keep their little ones under control in a restaurant/bar. The dog was not happy to be anywhere other than her own bed and thus made me pay. Sorry Chris, party foul!

Last edited:
Juice was draft only, my wife and I stopped in today with our dog after hanging out at the warren dunes beach for 4 hours. After I took my first sip of refraction (which was amazing) our dog knocked my glass over and it shattered on the floor. I got up bought a few bottles and cans, closed out, and left lol.

I'm amazed by parents and dog owners that can manage to keep their little ones under control in a restaurant/bar. The dog was not happy to be anywhere other than her own bed and thus made me pay. Sorry Chris, party foul!
It's ok someone with little kids did that one Sat when I was there.

Also yeah Cans were Pils only no Juice cans, why I questioned it because I thought I missed something, lol.

Wouldn't take much ? I would if I were him? Someone profiting off your stuff...nah
if you're going to do it for one guy selling Kentuckley and then you're gonna have to do it for everybody that puts juice is loose out there for $40 a four pack I agree with Scalzo not worth the time it's not going to deter people from doing it in the future

if you're going to do it for one guy selling Kentuckley and then you're gonna have to do it for everybody that puts juice is loose out there for $40 a four pack I agree with Scalzo not worth the time it's not going to deter people from doing it in the future
I would do it for everyone I saw but I guess that's me, my values and beliefs. I guess until you make something and someone else is reselling it for profit, greater than yours....people wouldn't understand. It wouldn't take a whole lot to figure it out but I digress.

Find the people's names. Don't sell to them. Eventually it would work. If you create a culture of this being ok then it's always going to be ok.

I would do it for everyone I saw but I guess that's me, my values and beliefs. I guess until you make something and someone else is reselling it for profit, greater than yours....people wouldn't understand. It wouldn't take a whole lot to figure it out but I digress.

Find the people's names. Don't sell to them. Eventually it would work. If you create a culture of this being ok then it's always going to be ok.
It won't ever work completely. It just won't. Sure, take precautions to try and minimize it, by all means. But don't kid yourself into thinking you'll stop it completely.

Back