Official Denver Buy #3 Order Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - I emailed the list to Jason last night and mailed my check today. I am going to scout out a good area for the drop around Park Meadows...preferrably a stand alone, vacant building, so we can have the parking lot to ourselves. Let me know if you have any suggestions, as I haven't been in that area in a while.

Ridebreck, please clear your inbox

FYI - I emailed the list to Jason last night and mailed my check today. I am going to scout out a good area for the drop around Park Meadows...preferrably a stand alone, vacant building, so we can have the parking lot to ourselves. Let me know if you have any suggestions, as I haven't been in that area in a while.

Ridebreck, please clear your inbox

I would think we should do it at the same place we did last time. Vacant building on the corner of S. Park Meadows Center Dr. and S. Yosemite St.

Its the south west corner of the Mall area. It's not actually in the mall lot but a stand alone kinda strip mall.

Ridebreck, since your inbox is perpetually full, your total is 33.18 not 33.25

16/22 people are paid up so far. Please send your checks in ASAP to avoid any problems on delivery day.

Thanks for the update Ride.

As an update for everyone:

We still have 5 people that haven't paid yet (or at least they haven't let me know if they have) which accounts for about $50 of the delivery charge that the rest of us will have to absorb if they don't. I am not going to worry too much about them until the end of day Wednesday. I would think if you don't have your payment sent in by then, you have no intention of doing so.

Chris

Has anyone who sent their checks in the last week had the checks actually cashed? I sent mine a week ago and it hasn't been cashed. Just wondering if it's held up somewhere or something went wrong.

PJK, et all-

I don't have confirmation from CMC, but I am assuming that they may be holding checks until they recv them all to cash all at once.

I sent out 4 PM's this morning to people that I didn't have marked as "paid" and have heard from 3 of those guys, so we just have one left at this point. So, thanks to those 3 for responding and hopefully I hear from the last guy soon. I will be sending an email to Jason today to see where he is as far as recving the checks we have all sent. Also, I will confirm our pick up spot.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Chris

Email recd back from Jason today. We are going to have the drop at the same location as last time. If you put it into mapquest.com for directions, use 8687 S Park Meadows Center Drive, Highlands Ranch, CO. It is at the corner of S Yosemite and S Park Meadows Center Dr. There is a Petsmart and Container Store right there, but one end of that complex is empty, so the parking lot is wide open on the south end.

Looks like we should be 100% paid up as of today! Great job everyone, thanks!

See Ya next Tuesday.....I'll be the big guy in the blue Audi

Chris,

Do you have rough idea of what time we should be there? Perhaps staggering the pick-up times would be better to keep the flow more even.

He says he will be there at 2 pm. Depending on weather, traffic, etc....I am assuming the staggering will occur naturally between 2 and 2:30ish, I will get there by 1:45 and have to be gone by 2:30.

I would say, if you have someone else picking up your grain, please make sure they remember they need to get not only their order but yours as well.

DenverDan, I am still picking yours up, correct?

Thanks Chris,

I can hang out a bit longer if people can't make it by 2:30. I can also hold a couple hundred pounds for later pick-up, if necessary.

I might be persuaded to bring a lower alcohol, highly hopped brew made with CMC grains to share.

Chris,
I am still counting on you to pick up my order. Please PM your phone #. There is a slim chance that I will be able to get out of work early given the holiday. If that does happen than I will call you. Otherwise I'll make arrangements to get it from your place.

Thanks again. You are awesome!

This Tuesday 2 pm, everybody ready? Weather looks like it should be good. I'll have my phone on me so PM me if you have problems, also feel free to PM me for my phone number if that makes you feel better. I'll be there at 1:45 ish.....I plan on being in contact w Jason prior to that so we will know his exact eta. What am I forgetting?

Chris

Just got off the phone w Jason.....all checks have been recd, trailer is loaded, he is hoping to be there a few minutes before 2.

He said that he does not plan on depositing the checks until he gets home and everyones orders are ok.

So hopefully delivery goes as smoothly as the rest of this has.

Chris

Anybody have a good recipe for a decently hoppy beer w/o too many other grains. Maybe something along the lines of Dale's Pale....not a clone but in that ballpark? Trying to plan my first brew to break into this grain.
Jeff

I have a recipe for Ska's Modeus Hoperandi, pm me if you want it....I don't think I have it here but I can get it to you tonight....the first time I bought CMC grains I made a 2 row/centennial SMaSH to taste the grain.

I have a belgian tripel, boddington's clone, and hefe planned for Firday!

My latest was a Best Bitter, OG was about 1.040, IBUs were around 35-40, Mash was 154, IIRC. My computer crashed so I lost all my beersmith files, so I'm going off memory.

It turned out well, but a bit on the sweet side. More in the wheat beer range than the pale ale range. A bit more IBUs, like 40-50, and some dry hops, and it would've been a good pale ale.

mash at 152
OG prob in the mid 40's
IBU 20-25

I was in the "blonde" range as far as BJCP styles go.....I think a CMC SMaSH would work really well with some of the noble hop varieties as well....ferment on the colder end of ale yeast and come up w something pilsneresque?!

I use this stuff for some high gravity IIPA's and it turns out awesome. If you have beer smith I'll post the recipe when i get home today.

Success! Thanks again Chris for getting this set up. You are the man and it was nice to meet you.

Now I need to brew some more.......

-Craig

Hey all, Jason informs me that they cannot account for 4 bags of pale that were milled. These were supposed to go elsewhere after our drop, but one of the guys accidentally grabbed some of the milled grains to pass out at our pick up. Jason would like everyone to check their grain and see if we received it. I know that mine, DenverDan, Wayne1, and Blizzards is all whole kernel. Please take a look. Jason assures me that he will make this right for those effected. Please PM me and I will put you in touch with him so this can be sorted out.

Thanks to everyone for the timely pickup today! Maybe another in 6 months or so?

Preston H, thanks for the Dubbel, I'll post reviews after this weekend!

Chris

All whole grains in my bags.

Thanks again for setting this up, Chris. It was great to meet you. If you don't mind, I'd like to see your Modus Hoperandi recipe. I really like that beer (and most Ska beers, actually).

Tony

Upon closer inspection, I have one definitely milled and one maybe crushed? Is it normal for wheat malt to be broken and have tons of floury, what I guess is chaff? It looks like wheat berries after they've been run through my mill once with a wide gap.

And another thumbs up for Chris & Jason! Merry Xmas everybody!

P.S. Haven't had a chance to check whether my grain has been milled/crushed or not (didn't feel like it inside the bag). I'll try to check tomorrow.

Nate-

Not sure what to tell you without seeing it, and I am sure you know this, but wheat is about 1/2 the size of 2 row barley.....hard little suckers too. If you are in doubt definitely bring it up w Jason when you talk to him.

Chris

And another thumbs up for Chris & Jason! Merry Xmas everybody!

P.S. Haven't had a chance to check whether my grain has been milled/crushed or not (didn't feel like it inside the bag). I'll try to check tomorrow.

You do not have to open the bags to see if you have milled or whole kernel. On the outside of the pale malt bags will be a white tag that has W/K on it for Whole Kernel. If your have a bag of pale malt without W/K on it, get in touch with Jason or Chris.

Here is a fairly simple recipe that I have used many times over the years.

This should give you a good idea how the malt works for you.

10.00 lb Colorado 2-Row (2.4 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1.00 lb Medium Crystal (55.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.58 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
16.70 items Defoamer (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Back