Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 = 362
Put some of my brewing supplies in a box above the kitchen cabinets. I must not have done a good job securing the hydrometer because as soon as I raised the box over my head the hydro dropped to the floor.

Well, the plastic hydrometer arrived the other day. I have to see how it matches my glass hydrometer. Unfortunately, I have to spend most of my day getting my vehicles state inspections.

Brewing since July and on my third....My young son likes to help on brew day and the concrete floor is very unforgiving. 66 gallons and 2 hydros...not bad I guess. :)

2 broken thermohydrometers $28.00

Brewing with my son PRICELESS!!

+2 = 367

Over the span of 2 years:

Broke first one when I forgot it was in a sink full of Star San solution. Jammed a spoon on top of it, smasho.

Second one, when I was shuffling around my buckets and other equipment I knocked it off the shelf and it slid out of its tube and broke on the floor.

Third. I thought I got smart and started to keep my fragile glassware (Hydro, thermometer and wine thief) up on a high space in my kitchen away from my other brewing stuff. Well I grabbed the Hydro tube from the wrong end and it slid out and on the kitchen floor and broke. Should have stood on a chair. I hope that's not lead shot in the bottom of the hydro, b/c it spread all over the kitchen floor!

+3 = 371

Broke my very first hydrometer after brewing for 3 years. I looked at this thread literally about 1/2hr before the "event" happened... My cocky thoughts were "Jeez... how can these people break them? I'm soooo careful with mine". Then after that I promptly cracked my hydrometer with hot wort....

+1 = 372

Kept mine in a tube with each end having a cap, thought id just drop mine in the tube after washing it, well it dropped in their all right, and kept on dropping through the cap and onto the tile floor and shattered everywhere, next one I bought I made sure it had one cap and a fixed bottom tube

+1 = 373

My Coopers plastic hydrometer. Got very similar results compared to my glass hydro (not sure which one is closest to where it should be). Hope it'll be more forgiving and we can end the devastating sadness of broken hydrometers...:(

6.jpg

That's a great idea, I wonder why they aren't more common...never seen one before myself. Where'd you get it?

Kept mine in a tube with each end having a cap, thought id just drop mine in the tube after washing it, well it dropped in their all right, and kept on dropping through the cap and onto the tile floor and shattered everywhere, next one I bought I made sure it had one cap and a fixed bottom tube

same here +1= 374

That's a great idea, I wonder why they aren't more common...never seen one before myself. Where'd you get it?
erikhild59, I got it from Coopers via makebeer.net. I'd done some research, wondering why doesn't someone make a plastic hydrometer? Well, they did and they were around $60. I'm part of the Coopers (AUS) Brewer's Guild (sort of like an Aussie HBT) and they had a plastic hydrometer. I contacted their US Rep (Barbara White) and she responded with the following email;
Hi Peter,
Right now we have both available. We are working on updating the picture on our site to the new hydrometer. The general rule at this time is if you place the order online, we will ship the new plastic hydrometer even though the online picture shows the glass one. If it is a request for a replacement and we are contacted by phone or e-mail, we will give the customer the choice of either the glass or plastic hydrometer.
Cheers, Barbara White
http://www.makebeer.net/item.asp?idProduct=64&idCategory=111&idSubCategory=0
I'd ordered their Mexican Cerveza kit along with the hydro. It comes with Brew Enhancer II ("Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (1kg) contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention.") What I received was a 1 Kg. solid brick of sugars. It's kind of a PITA to get powdered sugars to dissolve normally, a brick would've been hell to pay. I emailed her back asking if I needed an RMA so I could exchange it for another bag of BEII. She told me I could keep the brick and they'd send a replacement forthwith. I got the package today and they included a Coopers Homebrew hat for my troubles. I've had minor problems twice with makebeer and every time they've been great. Cheers, Pete :mug:

Two. The last one I sat on. I though the cracking noise was coming from my burner. I stared at it for at least five minutes while I racked my brain as to why it would make a noise like that.

I figured it out when I stood up.

2011-09-26_14-49-11_302.jpg

+1 = 376 I think. It was on my counter drying and I set my caraboy on it for a second I thought the cracking was the caraboy bit then was relieved to see it was my hydrometer

I have broken a lot I think 4 or 5 over the years although I have had my current one for over a year. Knock on wood

KuntzBrewing said:

+1 = 373

Did the exact same thing today.

whilst brewing and drinking beer mine fell off the table onto the concrete garage floor. needless to say it was history.

89= mustangfreak

mine = 90

I never thought it would happen to me but it finally did. i broke my first hydrometer today. and the way i did it was with a block of cheese lol. i left the hydrometer out on my counter after taking my final readings. about an hour later i went to get some cheese out to make my son a sandwich and threw it down on the counter. Bamn!!! glass everywhere!!!

Flomaster said:
whilst brewing and drinking beer mine fell off the table onto the concrete garage floor. needless to say it was history.

89= mustangfreak

mine = 90

Corrected total

376 +1 = 377.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Add three more to count for me. One just a few days ago. Need to be more carful where I put them they are FRAGILE!

+1 as I too had one drop completely through the plastic tube with cap on it and yes shards of glass were everywhere and SWMBO was not happy!

the SWMBO was using it to make wine and somehow dropped it in the sink...Then she decided she had to use mine. I told her I would take the reading with mine for her.

I bought her a new one and she has nearly already broke that one too, though luckily she hasn't yet...

387+1= 388

+1 = 390
When I set it on top of the bucket I knew it was a bad idea and would roll off if I bumped into it....well I ignred that voice in my head.

I forgot to put the cap on the plastic tube with the hydrometer inside, picked it up and turned it and it shot out like a glass torpedo.

+1 = 391

I'm using my Dad's Hydrometer, probably purchased in the 50's. It is longer than the one that came with my kit, so the marks are further apart and easier on my eyes. Still has the original cardboard box and tissue paper.

Back