Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't broken a hydrometer yet (probably will this weekend after posting this) but, I've broken 3 of the floating thermometers now. I keep forgetting to set the thing down gently while I'm cooling the wort, it smacks the bottom of the pot and breaks the little end off. Driving me nuts.

Clonefan94 said:
I haven't broken a hydrometer yet (probably will this weekend after posting this) but, I've broken 3 of the floating thermometers now. I keep forgetting to set the thing down gently while I'm cooling the wort, it smacks the bottom of the pot and breaks the little end off. Driving me nuts.

I hate those things. I melted one with my element in my e-keggle. Little lead (i assume) balls and wax everywhere. Good thing is was only water for a HERMS setup. I will not be replacing it. It was pretty useless to me anyway.

Oh, and we're still at 900 I believe.

just found this thread, I'm down two this year----both the same way. After washing, put it back in its tube and the stopper on the other end fell through. Third time's a charm I hope.

901 & 902

Tried to use my brand new spirit hydrometer to help slide the paper out of the tube and presto!

You must not be superstitious! You should make that thing a velvet cushion to sit on next time you brew!

lolz
It's resting in the air conditioned house right now while I'm sweating my butt off in the garage. It's brew day. Hmm

I bought two extras, because they're cheap and I'm clumsy. Strangely, I have not broken any of them in the 19 months I've been brewing.

Now that I just bought a set of "precision" hydrometers and don't have extras, I'm pretty sure they're doomed.
Well, it happened a couple weeks ago. Shattered one of my precision hydrometers. While I was rinsing it off, I dropped in the sink.

Love this thread. Was talking to the owner of my LHBS as I was buying a new hydrometer and asked him why they don't make them square because mine had just rolled off my counter. I week later I stepped on that one. That's two for me

903&904

46andbrew said:
Love this thread. Was talking to the owner of my LHBS as I was buying a new hydrometer and asked him why they don't make them square because mine had just rolled off my counter. I week later I stepped on that one. That's two for me

903&904

Oops 906&907 wrong page lol

Just dropped my third one but I slowed the fall and only the very top broke. Do u think it will still work. It broke right above the paper

Just dropped my third one but I slowed the fall and only the very top broke. Do u think it will still work. It broke right above the paper

I doubt it. I imagine that if a piece of it broke off, it won't weigh the same, and will displace less liquid and give you false readings.

Mozart said:
I doubt it. I imagine that if a piece of it broke off, it won't weigh the same, and will displace less liquid and give you false readings.

Ya u are probably right. SOB I was so pissed I think ill check it with 60* water just to see

I had a hydrometer that was off by 0.003 right out of the box. In fact, that was the one that broke three days ago (already counted). You can still use the one with the cracked top as long as it doesn't get liquid inside of it. As was said, you might be able to compensate with tape. Try not to load on one side, though.

Hydrometer was sitting at the bottom of ferm bucket in star-san getting ready for use when I tossed the base of the test jar into the bucket. Was a one in a million shot.

916 and 917 here (broke two between the last 3 brew days). Had to go get one just yesterday.

Why do I keep checking this thread? If I break mine, I'm gonna be pissed that you guys jinxed me.

Just found this page... 920 & 921 here. Broke the most recent one last month, rolled off the counter onto a wooden floor.

I have killed 4 in brewing career, usually from rinsing it off and its rolls off the counter. So 925, 926, 927, 928.

929, 930, 931, 932, 933

I've only used a hydrometer (for brewing) 4 times. So that's 5 broken Hydrometers on 4 uses. I'll stick to my rubber/plastic coated Refractometer.

Busted it last night while rinsing it off. It started to roll back towards the sink and I just blankly watched it tumble in and break the top off.

Had it for 5 weeks. Died so young.

Back