Off taste in new maple wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arod1975

Reaction score
Hey all, first new thread here. I hope it's in the right place. I just finished kegging a maple wheat and I know it's probably not finished carbonating yet but I tried it yesterday and it has an off taste in the middle. First taste is kinda sweet, finish is smooth. Could it be the maple producing it. Here are all of my brewing notes. Pmease any help would be appreciated.

Maple Wheat Ale 1-26 2:00 am

7.5lb Canadian 2- row pale malt

8lb wheat malt

5 gal strike water @ 153 degrees for 90 min.
3.5 gal of sparge water for 15 min

Bring to boil added 1.5 oz willamette 4.5% hops and 12oz organic maple syrup for 75 min boil.
Dropped in .5 oz willamette hops Ran out of propane.

1.075 OG
Pitched yeast at 75 degrees.
Covered and set up blow off tube.

1/27 11:20 pm vigorous fermentation, cleaned blowoff tube and changed the water

1/30 5:17pm Fermentation slowed. Bubbles every 12-13 seconds.

2/6 10:30pm After 11 1/2 days in primary, transferring to secondary. Gravity reading of 1.012
ABV of approx. 8.27%

2/11 10pm after 5 days in secondary put carboy into fridge to cold crash for 3 days.

2/14 9pm transferred out of cold secondary and kegged. Set at 20psi for the time being and will check in a couple days. FG reading is still 1.013 ABV stands at 8.15%

Could ne the maple but I've never brewed with it. If it was a vigorous fermentation starting at 75dF, it may have raised the actual ferm temp a lot higher which would result in off flavors from the yeast. At that high of gravity I usually wait about 6 weeks before packaging to let all those "weird" flavors to meld together.

Latest posts

Back