Off-odor in both primary CB and 2F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castronaut

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Newbie here. I just finished my 3rd round of Continous Brew in a 2.5gal vessel w ss spigot. 1st batch came out amazing! 2nd batch not so much.
Let me preface by saying I use RO/distilled water. I first noticed an off odor in my primary vessel during 1F, it went away as it came closer to being done, so i bottled into 2F w peach puree, lemon, fresh thyme, and ginger. Stored at room temp for 3 days, placed in fridge for a couple days, took out, tasted great, no off odors at all. Strained some out and bottled into 16oz boston bottles. All good.
Until I popped open a bottle after 3 days in the fridge, off-odor like fart sulfur smell lol. Checked the other 4 bottles, same foul odor. Then proceeded to check my primary vessel and noticed the same off odor but a little more faint.
Has anyone experienced this before? I washed all my tools and bottles in hot water w dish soap and fully dried and rinsed it w ro water after. The only thing I can think of is maybe a fruit fly got it at some point or yeast from my sourdough starter which i fed a couple times next to my Booch vessel Or the range in temp been at 75 for most of the time but there were a couple of days of hot 85 degree weather sprinkled in there esp before bottling the peach batch. Idk. Should I just start over?

The sulfurous odor is hydrogen sulfide, which is covered in detail here:
https://***************.com/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide
In short, aeration can remove it, and a good yeast nutrient can help prevent it, among other things.

Welcome to HBT!

Update: just tasted my CB primary vessel and the stank is gone. 🤯 It also has been cooler and closer to being done fermenting if that has something do with it; lol. Now worried about the smell coming back after 2F

Back