Off Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopeJuice

Reaction score
So my beers have been turning out ok, I have ironed out most of my brewing process so that things generally run smoothly. I have noticed a similar off flavor though and I'm wondering why. Regardless of style my beers have had an almost banana-y/fruit/sweet flavor towards the end that is not necessarily bad, but its not intended. I have been fermenting sort of high, around 72f (maybe higher during the day), and I'm wondering if this could be the culprit. I've had no problems with attenuation or clarity on the last few batches but this is the only thing i can think of because the recipes are all so different with the same subtle off flavor. Is it time to build a swamp cooler? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely try fermenting in the mid 60's, vs low 70's and see if that helps. Also, what temperature are you pitching your yeast at? Are you leaving it in primary for 2-3 weeks minimum?

Definitely try fermenting in the mid 60's, vs low 70's and see if that helps. Also, what temperature are you pitching your yeast at? Are you leaving it in primary for 2-3 weeks minimum?

I'm pitching as close to ferm temp as possible, usually 70-75f. Primary for 2 and Secondary for 2 on pretty much all of the beers so far.

What yeast strain are you using? A banana flavor is a ester that comes from some yeast strains. It is increased from higher ferment temps but not all yeasts will give this flavor. There are cheaper ways to ferment cooler than getting a swamp cooler if your looking to save a few bucks.

I'm pitching as close to ferm temp as possible, usually 70-75f. Primary for 2 and Secondary for 2 on pretty much all of the beers so far.

Take the directions and use them to start your next backyard fire. It is very important to keep the temp down during the initial phase of fermentation or you start kicking off some those sort of esters....like others said, keep it in the 60's. After 3-4 days of good fermentation then the phase those are created has passed and you can go ahead and let the temp rise if you want. Don't bother with the secondary either, let that beer sit on the yeast for 2-3 weeks after fermentation has subsided so the yeast can clean up fermentation byproducts and then go straight to bottling.

Regardless of style my beers have had an almost banana-y/fruit/sweet flavor towards the end that is not necessarily bad, but its not intended. I have been fermenting sort of high, around 72f (maybe higher during the day), and I'm wondering if this could be the culprit.

Yes, it's very likely if not almost certainly, the culprit. Craigslist chest freezer + a temp controller can do wonders for your beer and it takes care of itself unlike a swamp cooler. Either option will work but if you can swing it, go the chest freezer route so you can set it and forget it.

What yeast strain are you using? A banana flavor is a ester that comes from some yeast strains. It is increased from higher ferment temps but not all yeasts will give this flavor. There are cheaper ways to ferment cooler than getting a swamp cooler if your looking to save a few bucks.
usually 1056. any links or advice on cheaper ways to keep it cool that have worked well?

Odd I wouldn't think 1056 would give you banana ester. A good cheep way is to get a bucket big enough to fit your fermentor in up to the beer level. Fill it with water ( this adds a thermal mass so temp changes are much slower if your house fluctuates often) buy a case of water bottles and freeze them, add frozen water bottles to the water swapping out frozen ones for thawed ones as needed. It takes a bit of work and attention but its pretty cheep and works. You can get a thermometer like this one for around 7 bucks at a pet store. Tape it to the side of your fermentor under some styrofoam or bubble wrap to insulate it and you'll get a pretty accurate reading of the inside temp. During the fermentation the temp can be a lot higher inside then the ambient temp so its important to get the temp inside, not the temp of the room its in. If your room is 70 it wouldn't be odd if your internal temp is in the 75- 80 range.

thermometers_zoo-med-digital-thermometer-with-probe.jpg

There are cheaper ways to ferment cooler than getting a swamp cooler if your looking to save a few bucks.

A good cheep way is to get a bucket big enough to fit your fermentor in up to the beer level. Fill it with water ( this adds a thermal mass so temp changes are much slower if your house fluctuates often) buy a case of water bottles and freeze them, add frozen water bottles to the water swapping out frozen ones for thawed ones as needed.

Didn't you just describe a swamp cooler? :confused:

Isn't a swamp cooler a unit used to cool your entire house or entire room? I'm not sure a bucket of water with ice cubes in it would be considered a "swamp cooler" it maybe by definition. But not what I think of when I hear swamp cooler.

Well, I don't know about the kind of device for the house but when folks on here talk about a swamp cooler - literally all over the forum - they are referring to what you described in your second post. Like this.
:mug:

Isn't a swamp cooler a unit used to cool your entire house or entire room? I'm not sure a bucket of water with ice cubes in it would be considered a "swamp cooler" it maybe by definition. But not what I think of when I hear swamp cooler.

Yeah an industrial swamp cooler is exactly that. Water flowing over cooling coil with a fan behind it pushing out cold air. I had the same wtf moment when I started here as well. We are talking more so about the Red Green variety swamp cooler. :D

Ha alright ya. I didn't know it had a brewing term for it. But I didn't know, so I don't think a new brewer is gonna know that when you say swamp cooler you mean bucket with ice. The name should really be changed to swamp bucket, or fermentor swamp cooler or something different you know?. Any ways ya a " swamp cooler" is what you wanna use for the cheapest way to control temp my bad.

LopeJuice said:
no headaches, is that a side effect of high fermentation temps?

Fusel alcohol is created more readily at higher temperatures. It gives a hangover-like headache. My first batch, I felt hungover halfway through the first beer. If you're not getting it, you are luckier than me.

Back