Off flavor- need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I brewed a batch last weekend, my take on Arrogant Bastard. I do a no chill method and the hops used were magnum (bittering), chinook and a home grown mixture (long story) of what is supposed to be chinook/ cascade. I almost always use the no chill method and have yet to have an issue. I used a combo of reused slurry plus a packet of notty (never used it before, but wanted to make sure I got the gravity down).

Anyway, the problem is that I sampled it today (after about 8 days in) and it has an oniony flavor. Now, I used the 'no boil' method a couple months back and ended up with the same flavor, only stronger. But, I attributed that flavor that time to my over use of Summit hops, which can supposedly give off that flavor.

My ideas on the possible culprit here is: -reused yeast (1056 - I reuse all the time, so I dunno, unless they are very stressed)
- homegrown hops
- too much trub ( I forgot to let it settle before siphoning so there is a lot in there)
- something else??

It has to be something in common with the last batch, which would be no chill, homegrown hops, similar yeast (but I did NOT reuse yeast from the first onion batch).

Thoughts? I need to figure this out do I stop making this onion flavored beer. It has no signs of infection, sourness or other off flavor that I can detect.

I know some wild and homerown hops can have some off-flavors, but more garlic than onions...

do you also ave this flavor if you brew with commercial hops, fresh packet of yeast, get rid of trub and do a proper cooling of the wort?

I almost never "properly" cool the wort and have never had this issue other than these last two times. I've used these homegrown hops in several batches, with great results in the past.

Bump. Any ideas? I'm thinking about dry hopping the crap out of it, in an effort to save it

Onion and garlic flavors are due to sulfur compounds. Sulfur compounds always seem to age out of beer within 3 to 5 weeks, but sometimes takes a little longer. Give it time. I'll bet it disappears on its own with time.

Onion and garlic flavors are due to sulfur compounds. Sulfur compounds always seem to age out of beer within 3 to 5 weeks, but sometimes takes a little longer. Give it time. I'll bet it disappears on its own with time.

Really? Interesting. Thanks for the advice

Back