Off flavor in first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh14025

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but my first home brew, a kit using cooper's pre hopped canadian blonde LME and muntons light DME and the coopers yeast, after letting it ferment for a week and sit in the bottles for 2 weeks seems to have an off flavor. It seems a little yeast-y or a little like rotten apples. the beer is still drinkable and has great carbonation and I spent a lot of time sanitizing. could I have not sanitized good enough or should I just let it stay in the bottles a little while longer? I already have enough ingredients for my second brew and will forever be hooked on home brewing

1 week isn't long enough. Read up the multitude of threads about giving your batch enough time to become great. Tasting the yeast means it wasn't done when you bottled it. I would also suggest going with better kits, with unhopped extract and such. Also go with good yeast (munton's and coopers are good in the boil to FEED good yeast) in future batches.

Also use your hydrometer to know when a batch is actually done fermenting, especially if you're trying to rush it into bottles. IME, giving a batch more time in primary gives you much better beer in your glass.

Latest posts

Back