Odd question about turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

I am smoking a turkey this year and need to brine it for about 8 hours ahead of time. I've been looking all over my house and i have nothing to do this in. Would any of you be opposed to doing this in one of your bottling buckets? It seems to be the onlything I can find that is large enough.

Hey,

I am smoking a turkey this year and need to brine it for about 8 hours ahead of time. I've been looking all over my house and i have nothing to do this in. Would any of you be opposed to doing this in one of your bottling buckets? It seems to be the onlything I can find that is large enough.

A cooler is the best since you can keep the turkey cool without having to refrigerate it.

Really? And it will stay cool throughout the entire night? I'm such a paranoid person about bacteria and crap like that. Do you put ice in the water?

I used an big ol plastic bucket with no refrigeration to brine once. Nobody died ...that year.

Salt is pretty nasty to many bacteria, think of cured meats, such as salmon or salted pork. I have let is sit in there all night. Put it in there at 10 pm and by 6 am it is ready.

I need to make a beer celebrating the opeinging of hockey season. A beer site after all. :)

Considering the stage where the bottling bucket comes into play, I don't think I'd use mine for anything but beer.

Use a cooler or a bucket (not your bottling bucket). Put it somewhere cool, with a lid on it, this time of year I'd leave it in my garage overnight since it's in the low 40's.

I'd say if you're in a pinch use your beer bucket but plan on buying a new beer bucket before you brew next (I've used old beer buckets for brining a turkey but have not tried brewing after the brining).

Go to your hardware store and get a bucket for 2.50, unless you need it tonight, in which case just line your bucket with a sanitized trash bag or something. Don't want to risk a turkey infection in your brews right?

At the grocery store you can almost always get icing buckets from the bakery section for free. Get a very large food grade plastic bag and put your turkey, brine and any other aromatics in the bag. Tie it up tightly, cover with ice, and put the lid on. If it is cold enough, you can leave outside. I've done this the past couple of Thanksgivings with a spatchcocked turkey, and it took only an hour and a half to roast.

Back