Odd Lag Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
So I made 10 gallons of a gluten free Belgian Strong and then pitched White Labs Belgian Saison Blend at 70 degrees.

I put it in a room at 85 degrees and walked away for a few days.

The two fermenters shared a blow off jug which bubbled along merrily for days.

A week later...

The blow off jug has been quiet for a couple of days and I havent touched anything. Then this afternoon it goes back to bubbling harder than ever.

I tested both fermenters and one is down to 1006 where it belongs and the other is all the way up at 1037! (OG was 1060)

The high gravity jug is now going to town and fermenting away. I suppose one fermentation got stuck and then randomly started again.

Does anyone else have similar stories??

Just a thought - did you perhaps pitch your yeast from a single container? Could it be that the first fermenter got a relatively sparse yeast suspension while the second got the yeast-rich sediment in the bottom of propagation vessel?

Two packets of S-05, one for each.

The expiration dates were both for 9/2012.

I'm mainly surprised that it was so hot and it still stalled. Of all the problems with this brew, a stuck fermentation at 85 degrees was not what I was expecting.

S05? In your OP, you said White Labs Belgian Saison Blend. Which did you use?

I suppose either way, you probably stressed the yeast. An 85 degree room along with rising temps from fermentation is well above the recommended fermentation temp for both strains

ayoungrad said:
S05? In your OP, you said White Labs Belgian Saison Blend. Which did you use?

Oops, grabbed a packet next to me from a different batch. It was the Belgian Saison 2.

Latest posts

Back