Used dried Voss today for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
Today, I made the below beer and used dried Voss as a stand in for s-04. The flavor profiles seems similar and I thought I would give hot fermentation a go. I overshot my chilling a bit, and pitched at 72 degrees, put the fermenter in the mini fridge and turned on the heat pad. Three hours later, at 85 degrees, a fully formed krausen and bubbling away. Eight hours after pitch, a beer that started at 1.061 is sitting at 1.046(85 degrees). Wouldn't surprise me if this beer hits final gravity in less than 48 hours.
Oh yeah, the smell when opening the fridge to look is WONDERFUL.......and it's fascinating how much movement there is in the fermenter....

Attachments

• Brewfather_ZombieDustIPA_20221008.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
What @Zambezi Special said above. I use Lutra and Voss (both dried) in many beers, and I've found that a good hard cold crash for about 2 days does the trick; I kegged one without crashing once, and the beer tasted green after carbonation, but did settle out after about 5-6 days to something better.

What @Zambezi Special said above. I use Lutra and Voss (both dried) in many beers, and I've found that a good hard cold crash for about 2 days does the trick; I kegged one without crashing once, and the beer tasted green after carbonation, but did settle out after about 5-6 days to something better.
Sounds like a good idea. I use a mini-fridge for my fermentation chamber. If I use it for a cold crash, it bottoms out about 40 degrees and it takes two days to get there.....This particular beer has a 3 oz dry hop, I wonder if I would be OK to put the hops in when I turn the fridge down(After 3 days at a stable FG of course), give it the two days to cool down and two to sit there cold, then remove it to room temperature for one day, bottling the next?

Sounds like a good idea. I use a mini-fridge for my fermentation chamber. If I use it for a cold crash, it bottoms out about 40 degrees and it takes two days to get there.....This particular beer has a 3 oz dry hop, I wonder if I would be OK to put the hops in when I turn the fridge down(After 3 days at a stable FG of course), give it the two days to cool down and two to sit there cold, then remove it to room temperature for one day, bottling the next?
There are a few schools of thought on when to dry hop; some do it after 7 days, some wait longer, then there are others (myself among them) that drop the dry hop when the krausen starts to fall, or shortly thereafter; theory being that as the krausen drops, it takes the hop material with it, resulting in better distribution throughout the beer, YMMV. Do what works for you, but I personally wouldn't dry hop cold. Maybe take the beer down to more of an ale temperature, say 62-66, and leave it there for a few days. Then crash it for a couple of days, and bottle. That has the added bonus of all of the hop gunk compacting with the yeast, resulting in clearer beer.

*edit I should really completely read posts before I respond. No need to remove the beer to room temperature after crashing, bottle it cold! You'll get clearer beer in the bottle that way, with less gunk at the bottom of each bottle.

There are a few schools of thought on when to dry hop; some do it after 7 days, some wait longer, then there are others (myself among them) that drop the dry hop when the krausen starts to fall, or shortly thereafter; theory being that as the krausen drops, it takes the hop material with it, resulting in better distribution throughout the beer, YMMV. Do what works for you, but I personally wouldn't dry hop cold. Maybe take the beer down to more of an ale temperature, say 62-66, and leave it there for a few days. Then crash it for a couple of days, and bottle. That has the added bonus of all of the hop gunk compacting with the yeast, resulting in clearer beer.

*edit I should really completely read posts before I respond. No need to remove the beer to room temperature after crashing, bottle it cold! You'll get clearer beer in the bottle that way, with less gunk at the bottom of each bottle.
Yeah, wasn't too sure about dry hopping cold.....and I get very little hop matter in the beer as I dry hop with this: Big Mouth Bubbler® Depth Charge® - Dry Hop Filter

Thought I would update this thread. I usually drink one bottle at 5 days in the bottle but didn't with this one because it was still really cloudy. Today is ten days and even though still cloudy, I couldn't wait any longer.

It turned out great. The Citra hops really shine on this one....citrusy and grapefruit galore....kinda fruity on the nose but not in drinking it, nice small but persistent head. I get no hint of a "farmhouse funk" as some have reported with Voss. It is really cloudy still, looks like a NEIPA, but oh well, I'd rather have cloudy and good than clear and funky.....

I did cold crash this one for three days(with dry hops added at that time) then let it sit at room temp for 2 days in an attempt to clear it a bit (didn't work). I also added White Labs Clarity Ferm at pitch. I have never used it before and it is supposed to eliminate chill haze....I wonder if that has anything to do with it not clearing? Oh well, just wanted to update, and will definately be making this one again....

11 days brew to bottle...

YMMV

Lon

Last edited:
My Voss IPA's are clear after 3 weeks at 33* with a dose of gelatin at kegging. If you can put them in the fridge,by the time you drink the last one it will be clear,because you ain't gonna wait that long.

It sucks when used in the 6.5 gal big mouth. Half of the screen is out of the beer. Like all there stuff it's close but no gubba.
Funny, when I use it in my 6.5 gallon bigmouth with 5-5.5 gallons of beer it works just fine, plenty of it below the liquid level...

Latest posts

Back