Octoberfest Kit, Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdrescher

Reaction score
Also put this on the original post, but I do have additional questions.

Update...
After 7 days no movement according to gravity readings at 4 days then at 7, I took the bucket out of my super nifty freezer/fridge set at 56 degrees to lager and set in my basement at 68 degrees.
12 hours later, bubbling starts.
I left at 68 degrees for 12 hours and placed back in the lager fridge at 58 degrees.

I will take a gravity in 4 or 5 days and let you know.

Am a I making a mistake?
Have I cured my issue?

Any thoughts on why I had no fermentation at 56 degrees, the temp at which directions the kit gave me?

Also put this on the original post, but I do have additional questions.

Update...
After 7 days no movement according to gravity readings at 4 days then at 7, I took the bucket out of my super nifty freezer/fridge set at 56 degrees to lager and set in my basement at 68 degrees.
12 hours later, bubbling starts.
I left at 68 degrees for 12 hours and placed back in the lager fridge at 58 degrees.

I will take a gravity in 4 or 5 days and let you know.

Am a I making a mistake?
Have I cured my issue?

Any thoughts on why I had no fermentation at 56 degrees, the temp at which directions the kit gave me?

Which yeast strain came with your kit? And I'm assuming only one package?

An error I made was not writing down the type of yeast.
It was a Brewers Best kit.
1 packet.

The packet itself had directions to pitch into warm water, then put into the wort.
The kit directions said to put directly into the wort and stir.

An error I made was not writing down the type of yeast.
It was a Brewers Best kit.
1 packet.

The packet itself had directions to pitch into warm water, then put into the wort.
The kit directions said to put directly into the wort and stir.

But if you don't know what kind of yeast, you don't know if it's a lager yeast or ale yeast. An ale yeast won't ferment much, if at all, under 59 degrees while that's too warm for a lager yeast (they are different). It's important to know which kind of yeast you have, if not the exact strain.

Agreed.
It was a lager kit and specifically stated the tempt to lager after pitching the yeast. 56 degrees. Thats why I bought the dang kit. :)
It did state the temp on packet. But I don't remember the type.

I was all excited having recently set up my chest freezer to bulk age wine and lager beer. sigh.

But I get it. . Lesson learned.

Back