Ockotberfest Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
So I would've liked to start it earlier, but I figured 2 months or so lagering will still produce a decent beer (my last lager was a month and a half and turned out great). I'd like to make an Ocktoberfest, and I was wondering if anyone out there had or knows where to find a good Ocktoberfest recipe.

My top pick would be the Hacker Pschorr Ocktoberfest, then Pete's Wicked Ales Ocktoberfest. Perhaps a Paulaner clone would do. I'd prefer not to do Sam Adams as I don't think it is as good as these.

Any help/recipes/other suggestions is very appreciated. Cheers!
-C

I've made the all grain version of this a few times: http://***********/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/103-german-amber-lager/1898-festbier

I absolutely love it! IMHO, it is a lot like Spaten Oktoberfest or HofBrau Oktoberfest. I use the 2308 Munich Lager and have always used Crystal 40 (I made a copying error the first time, but haven't changed it because I like the way it is), but I would imagine the Crystal 120 would taste the same, just darker. Also, instead of Spalt, I used Saaz at 30 minutes.

I would imagine the Crystal 120 would taste the same, just darker.

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought the same thing until I tasted 40 and 120 when I was at the homebrew shop recently. There really is quite a different flavor in addition to color. 40 is sweet and quite caramelly, while 120 is definitely darker, maybe roastier, more dark dried fruit maybe. My description sucks, so I would recommend trying it!

As far as an Oktoberfest recipe, I brewed by first one this year. It's ready to drink now, but I'm saving them for an Oktoberfest party in a few months, so I won't recommend my recipe yet. I did taste it after carbing and conditioning a while, and it was good, though!

Can't argue with you there solavirtus... I've never tried 120 that I can think of. Thanks for the input!! I'll avoid it because dark fruit/roasty would ruin my version. I'll try it in something else sometime though.

Phunhog I've tried the OkotoberFAST, but was not impressed. I never said anything about it because with so many people happy with it, maybe mine was a fluke.

I prefer to do a traditional O-Fest, having done them several ways, this has been my favorite:

50% Wyermann Vienna Malt (3-4°L)
25% Wyermann Pilsner Malt (1.6-1.8°L)
25% Wyermann Munich I Malt (5-6°L)

I do about 25 IBU at 60 Minutes and then about 1/2oz (per 5 gal at 20 minutes). I usually use Magnum for the bittering, and Tettnanger or Hallertau for the flavor (as subtle as it is)

I either do a single or double decoction. It generally starts at 1.056 and finishes at 1.012. I have used Wyeast 2206 and 2124, both have been good, but I like 2124 better. I have done it as an Ale too (65 degrees with US-05 and 60 Degrees with 1007), but I think it is best with 2124. Pitch HUGE ammounts of yeast, and leave it in primary for a month.

I have been doing this recipe for 3 years now and it just turns out so incredibly good.

For reference, my favorite is Victory Brewing Festbier. I like Great Lakes too if I am feeling a bit more like Crystal Malts.

As for the imports, none of them ever taste quite as fresh as I want them to be.

Latest posts

Back