obssesion with hopstands...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitmaster666

Reaction score
let me start by saying, to each their own. If u like it, then more power to ya. but every reply that ive seen in the "recipe feedback" type of post, is people telling someone to drop half a pound into a hopstand.... I have been brewing long enough to see fads come and go, fwh is on its way out as we speak. less posts every week on that technique and im sure this will fade as well. but people dont need a 6 oz hopstand/whirlpool in a pale ale. its a waste. I guess I would just like to see something productive besides "ten ounces of citrus hops in a hopstand". im kinda just venting.... but 15, 10, and 5 min additions have unique profiles as well and I guess I am just wondering why we should listen to the fad and do all our hops in one shot? some beers dont need to taste like biting a graprfruit...

If the question is how do I get a beer with massive hop aroma that tastes like grapefruit juice, the answer is hopstand.

It's not magic - it's just another tool. And I think for low gravity IPA it's a great technique.

If you're making Dubbel, it's not so useful.

Heh heh... when I make IPA's -even "Session" ones (I hate that term) - I pretty much just do citrusy varieties in FWH and Whirlpool/Hopstand.

Amazeballs.

I dunno, when you buy a bunch of hops in bulk and they're approaching that 3 year old mark, a 10 oz addition of cascades in a 5 gallon bach at whirlpool is an excellent way to offload some inventory

I see why some people would utilize the technique in certain circumstances... but not EVERY reply to EVERY recipe should be for for fruit juice. and the guy who corrected the spelling, the grammar nazi, take a giant one right in the tonsils

Heh heh... when I make IPA's -even "Session" ones (I hate that term) - I pretty much just do citrusy varieties in FWH and Whirlpool/Hopstand.

Amazeballs.

have you ever done a chinook/triskel IPA.... youll never have another "fruit juice" IPA again. I garauntee it.

If we're all being honest here, I think I'm over hop stands myself. I had a few pints of my fifth batch that utilized a hop stand, and I have to say I don't get much hop flavor or aroma over the same recipe that had "traditional" (60, 30, 15, 5) additions paired with a decent sized (2oz) dry hop.
/$0.02

Just brewed a 10g batch Ripa. ..no boil hops. 5.5oz mosaic at 200f-180f whirlpool for 60 min. ..then 6.5oz mosaic at 160f whirlpool for another 60 min. ..will dry hop each 5gal fermenter with 2oz mosaic .

Tastes unbelievable

Personally, I like hopstand/whirlpool. When used in conjunction with hop bursting and dry hopping, it results in an IPA that really stands out.

Just brewed a 10g batch Ripa. ..no boil hops. 5.5oz mosaic at 200f-180f whirlpool for 60 min. ..then 6.5oz mosaic at 160f whirlpool for another 60 min. ..will dry hop each 5gal fermenter with 2oz mosaic .

Tastes unbelievable

and like i said, everyone has their own tastes. But I am more talking about the people who tell others that it is the only way to make beer. An American Brown does not need a 6oz hopstand.

Personally, I like hopstand/whirlpool. When used in conjunction with hop bursting and dry hopping, it results in an IPA that really stands out.

No, it does not make an IPA, it makes a salad. And how does it stand out if EVERYONE is doing it? IPA's are actually pungent, horrendously bitter, gross old beers. And I still like them. People do not make "IPA's" anymore, IPA's were never fresh, and never full of fruit. They sat on a ship for a couple of months getting good and funky.

No, it does not make an IPA, it makes a salad. And how does it stand out if EVERYONE is doing it? IPA's are actually pungent, horrendously bitter, gross old beers. And I still like them. People do not make "IPA's" anymore, IPA's were never fresh, and never full of fruit. They sat on a ship for a couple of months getting good and funky.

You're talking about historically correct IPAs. Common usage of the phrase has evolved to mean something else. You confuse the issue when you try to correct someone because they aren't using the phrase or word the same way it was hundreds of years ago.

Hop stands for IPAs I don't believe will ever go away. That's my opinion. It produces flavors and aromas that many many people like. And not everyone is doing it. Lots are. Not all.

Who the hell is suggesting hopstands for anything other than pale ales or IPAs?

there was a thread right below mine yesterday for a pale ale where multiple people suggested hopbursting

there was a thread right below mine yesterday for a pale ale where multiple people suggested hopbursting

Well hopbursting and hopstands aren't the same thing. Besides, both are great techniques for a pale ale or IPA. I've never seen a post where someone suggests it for another style, like you suggested. It could likely work in some other styles, like a saison or hoppy wheat beer. But your assertion that "everyone" is saying to use hopstands for all types of beer is not true.

Mods can we move this to general beer discussion as this is not recipe nor ingredients.

i dont really care care it goes, it can dissapear for all i care... but it is in fact related to recipe formulation

you spelled gripefruit wrong.

and the guy who corrected the spelling, the grammar nazi, take a giant one right in the tonsils

have you ever done a chinook/triskel IPA.... youll never have another "fruit juice" IPA again. I garauntee it.

You misspelled "guarantee" three times...

not sure why it multiple posted, sorry about that... but still, screw the grammar nazi

Grammar and spelling are not the same thing; however, your grammar sucks too! :goat:

Grammar and spelling are not the same thing; however, your grammar sucks too! :goat:

glad to see that instead of explaining the reasoning behind a phenomenon, you guys choose to represent the community by being grammar/spelling trolls. I am truly curious why everyone feels the need for this type of brewing lately, and then THIS happens. you guys can have fun with your fruit juices. I was hoping this forum would help advance my brewing, but I have been a member for a long time now and the only advancements for me have come from my own experiments and trial-and-error. That's fine with me. **** you very much, jump in front of a bus.

If this forum hasn't helped your brewing that's on you dude. There's a wealth of info and really helpful people on this site. You came at us with a straw man argument and it got picked apart. This wasn't a request for help.

glad to see that instead of explaining the reasoning behind a phenomenon, you guys choose to represent the community by being grammar/spelling trolls. I am truly curious why everyone feels the need for this type of brewing lately, and then THIS happens. you guys can have fun with your fruit juices. I was hoping this forum would help advance my brewing, but I have been a member for a long time now and the only advancements for me have come from my own experiments and trial-and-error. That's fine with me. **** you very much, jump in front of a bus.

Wait, who's the troll?

the hop stand/ whirl pool is indeed 2 different processes, not the same at all, I choose a good strong whirl pool over a hop stand and dry hopping any day for flavor, never had a green vine taste at all in a whirl pool but battled it countless times in a dry hop. as far as the 30, 15 an 5, that beer has its pace for sure in a pale ale or mild beer but if you want an in your face hop finish its just not enough so new finishing techniques are now being tested and proved useful, whirl pooling until 170ish does work, no need for massive amounts of late hops just good placement will be the key

Is it so hard to do your own thing? Is someone somehow forcing you to hopstand? Just because something is a trend doesn't mean you have to follow it.

A couple of people corrected your spelling. Big deal. The rest of this thread is full of honest responses. (Not that a spelling correction is dishonest)

It's like you said in your original post, if some people like hopstands great. If you don't, great. Then don't use them. You like a certain type of IPA. Good for you.

Personally I don't find either hop bursting or hopstands to produce a flavor I would call "juice". Or grapefruit. I have had grapefruit sculpin, which tastes like both "juice" and like biting into a grapefruit. And I find it to be an awful IPA. To each their own. But it doesn't taste anything like the IPAs I've made with hopbursting/hopstand techniques.

I think you are overreacting a bit. Hop stands and whirlpool definitely make a difference. And not just with the new fruity stuff. Centennial, chinook, cascade, perle, Columbus, sterling etc can be used too.

Do I think it's required for every style? Of course not, I agree with you there. But here some places I've done them with surprisingly good results
Lager
Black lager
India red lager
Berliner (after a kettle sour)
Saison
Hefe

Quite a few of these beers are places you wouldn't expect to see huge hop flavor, or even any hops at all in the Berliner or gose. But they worked out well.

I realize your beef is with the constant "hype" about the technique, but are you sure you're not anti-hop stand for some other reason? Because to me, the idea of the technique is to maximize hop flavors- so it kinda sounds like you don't like hop flavor..... which would be odd for a home brewer.

I agree that it's quite the hot topic of conversation, but if you think about how expensive hops are getting, especially the new varieties (2015 Nelson is over $30/lb) then I think it's easy to understand how everyone can get so excited about a technique that claims/proposes/helps to maximize the flavor you get for your hop dollars. Even if it seems a bit overhyped.

Well, that's your opinion. You like bitter beers with no flavor. No need for you to brew your own beer. You can go to the local store, close your eyes, and pick from a shelf of IPA. You will without a doubt, grab something to you liking. Just like the 6 pak next to it. And the 6 pak next to that. And so on.

I mash my beers around 155/156 consistently. Why? Because I like full bodied sweet beers. I like the sugars extracted from grain. I also like the flavor and aromas from hops...hence my using whirlpool in conjunction with other methods to obtain the profile I like. That is why I started brewing my own beer.
NOT to fit into main stream brewing. NOT to make beer the way YOU like it, but to make it the way that I like it.

I am one of those guilty for telling people to add massive amounts into hopstands. but thats just because every "critique this IPA recipe" says they are looking for a "hop bomb." And Im sorry, there is simply no way to do that with like 5oz total in a 5gal batch.

will just say that I would not make an IPA without one. But thats the point of homebrewing. The reason I make my own IPAs is to make something I simply cannot go out and buy. Why would I waste my time and effort making something generic I can buy off the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back