Obligatory first brew freak out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardJay

Reaction score
Hello

First post here, first home brew (extract).
And I am not really freaking out.

I just racked to secondary today, 7 days after boil, and tasted my beer for the first time and it was not terribly good. I realize it's not meant to be ready for prime time but I wanted to get the thoughts of some people here about what I may be able to expect over the next couple of weeks, have any face-palm-inducing errors pointed out. Also, I hope just writing this down helps me later on down the line. If this is (understandably) firmly in "Too long didn't read" territory, feel free to jump to "the taste test"

My kit:
I used the Austin Homebrew Supply Co.'s AHS Gold Seal Blonde Ale (6B)
[1 lb DME, 5 lb LME, some maltodextrin, and 1 oz hops at 60 min., Dry Nottingham yeast]
This may have been a mistake for me, as I would normally go for hoppier or darker malty beer and based my first brew choice on "most likely to convince wife to not kibosh second brew"

Boil day:
The boil went well, though I did have the cover on partially to help my stove keep a slightly more aggressive boil; I now understand this to be a mistake as it does not allow some compounds to escape. The recipe called for only 3-3.5 gallons be boiled, with water added to the fermenter (ye lode plastic bucket to bring the volume up to 5.25 gallons. I put this extra water in first and shook it up quite a bit while the beer was cooling to the prescribed temp. I rehydrated the yeast (no sugars of any kind added) about 30 minutes or so before adding the beer, at the prescribed temp. once everything was in the fermenter, I gave it a fair bit of angry stirring.

My one main problem on the day was with my hydrometer; if I put it into the thief first (as per the instructions I had) and then filled from the bottom, it remained stuck there. So instead I filled the thief up partially and then slid the hydrometer in (I tried it with water first and got 1.00 so I hope it works). I hit the target gravity (1.054).
When all was said and done, I put it off in the garage fridge with an analog temp controller set to 68F (Danstar's site says the yeast is good from 57-70).

Week1:
My airlock was bubbling away 8-10 hours later and stayed that way for about 72 hours, then it stopped. After browsing this forum, I came across the sage advice "The airlock is for being an airlock, not for gauging fermentation" so I left it alone until today (7 days from brew day). I did notice from a separate thermometer that the fridge was fluctuating more than I would like and was colder than I had set (61-66F still well within the range of the yeast; also, I bought the temp controller from a LHBS, not Austin Homebrew). I was planning to rack today but I checked the Gravity just to make sure, and it was 1.012 (target was 1.013) so I went ahead with it.

The taste test (7 days from boil, upon racking to secondary glass carboy):
I used the thief to get be a small glass and here's where the little gremlin who doesn't want me to just relax crept in. My beer is quite cloudy (even discounting the extra extra cloudiness I got because I pushed the thief right into the 1/4 inch of delicious goo at the bottom of my bucket-lesson learned) and it smells overly fruity and malty sweet (like super Schlitz instead of beer). It tastes fruity, definitely the banana taste plus maybe a bit of tang like a citrus fruit, but not astringent- I am almost wondering if the tang is just my mind playing tricks on me since it is clearly sweet but has no carbonation or the amount of bitterness I would normally expect in something I was drinking. The beer doesn't have any of what I would consider "green" flavors like grass or herbs. Most disappointingly,almost all flavor leaves the mouth nearly instantly. I guess I would most closely equate it to heavily watered down wine, but without the tannin. It isn't terrible, I am still drinking it in many overly-contemplative small sips at the expense of my Sierra Nevada that sits next to it, but it isn't good beer by a long shot.

My basic question is: what might I expect the beer to do over the next 2 weeks in the carboy and 3+ weeks in the bottle? what flavors are here to stay? what will improve (less fruit, more staying power, will bitterness ever come to the party)? I am not considering dumping anything and am not overly concerned, just trying to get some thoughts and to stay involved during the "place in carboy, leave carboy alone" stage of the process. Thanks for your time.

Welcome and congrats.
I wish my first brew had such complete notes and good results....(10 years ago!)...which does not make me an expert.

Flavors meld, some odd/off flavors subside. Yours is most certainly "green" as in - not ready. Carbonation changes the flavor more than one would think, and contributes to modifying sweetness and increasing perception of bitterness (IMO).

How was your temp measured? thermometer in chamber or against the fermenter? - I ask because during active fermentation, the yeast can actually raise the temp 10F. I know that sounds high, but I've measured it. Others have confirmed. So 66 could actually have been 76 to the beer. When you connect your temp controller, tape the probe to the side of the fermenter, insulate with a bit of foam or cloth. So...some of those fruity flavors may be from a slightly high ferment.

You can taste along the way, but why? It's simply not ready. Wait the 2-3 more weeks, bottle, and wait another three. Then cool one down, sit back and re-assess.

Also, one SG reading, after a week, does not make for the FG... You need to have a pair of matching SG readings 2-3 days apart in order to get the FG.

Also, it wouldn't have done any harm to leave it in primary for the duration. 2-3 weeks would have been better (IMO, and many others) than racking to another vessel.

For your next batch, once the directions tell you to pitch the yeast, toss them out. Give the batch the time it needs to become ready for you to drink it. Kit instructions are notorious for rushing you through the process.

Personally, I taste the batch before I do anything with it. That goes for moving to an aging vessel (once fermentation is finished and the bigger brew is ready for some aging time), going to bottle, or to keg. Using your taste buds to gauge when it's ready is far, far, far better than the kit instructions.

The ever scary first brew. Welcome to the obsession! First off, your beer will definitely round out in the next couple of weeks. Once bottled it will change in ways you never thought possible. On my first brew ( a Dunkel) I tasted it when I was racking it to secondary. It was terrible. The flavors were so powerful that I thought for sure it was a wasted batch. It had this terrible aftertaste that resembled licking a piece of charcoal. Despite my concern, I left it alone and eventually bottled. After a week in the bottle I cracked one open. It was incredible. It tasted like someone who knew how to brew, came into my house while I was sleeping and swapped mine out for theirs. That was after only 1 week. Now that it has been in bottles for a month it is even better. Ultimately I think tasting your brew at various stages of the brew process is important, but our immature palates don't really know what we are tasting in great detail. Once we get a few hundred brews under our belt I think it will be more telling, but until then it just makes you anxious. I think your brew will be fine. You went through greater detail than most of us on our first brew so you have that going for you. Best of luck.

Thanks for the quick replies, and the good advice.
I will keep in mind the tip about getting a couple of SGs a couple of days apart.

I knew that the fermentation would produce some heat, but not to that degree. Yeast are impressive little buggers.
My temp controller probe is just inside the door, I don't have enough play with the capillary tube to get it to the fermenter, but I'll rig something to get the box itself closer so I can get the probe where it needs to be. My secondary thermometer is also not touching the fermenter, it has a small "bump-out" specifically so it can touch air; that should be easy to affix to the fermenter.

Back