Oatmeal IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtsonhops

Reaction score
Just brewed an oatmeal IPA, and am really psyched about it! In alphabetical order: Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Palisades, and Willamette. 3oz of hops at 5min and another 3oz ready for dry hopping. I'm hoping for something like Fort George OPA.

10.5 lb 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
0.5 lb CaraVienne
0.5 lb C60
1 lb Victory

:60
1oz Columbus hops 12.9%
:20
0.5 oz Cascade hops 9.1%
0.5 oz Palisades hops 8.7%
:05
0.5 oz Columbus hops 12.9%
1 oz Cascade hops 9.1%
0.5 oz Chinook hops 13.9%
1 oz Willamette hops 5%
Dry Hop
1.5 oz Chinook 13.9%
1 oz Palisades 8.7%
1 oz Willamette 5%
.5 oz Columbus 12.9%

This was my 3rd all grain batch and looks like I'm up to 70% efficiency! All in all a great brew session and hopefully a great brew!

Still have to come up with a name, if it earns a medal at the next competition I was thinking "Oat no you didn't" or "Motor Oating son of a *****" because i want to hear someone say that in a crowded room. If it's not medal worthy, then I was thinking "5 Oat 3 IPA". What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Well it's been a week and a half since I brewed this. And it's been at 1.020 for a week of that. Do you think the oats would have that big of an influence of the FG? I still have to double check my thermometer to see if I mashed at the temp I thought I did. I have another beer that's stuck at 1.030.

I used a starter with WLP001. But I think I found my problem, I checked my thermometer yesterday and I boiled water @ 205 @ 500ft above sea level. So my mash at 152 looks more like 155-157

Thermometers that are not accurate are very, very common. For an all grain brewer it is potentially disasterous. However, 1.020 isn't so bad, it is on the way upper end of where I would want an IPA, but it will be tasty. For what its worth, i love 1.012 - 1.013 for an IPA, regardless of original gravity.

Oh yeah. My OG was 1.071 so with a FG this high it's a bit more drinkable. It tastes good so I'm going to dry hop now. I'm just curious if the oats add gravity points or if it's more of a perceived body/mouthfeel.

Oh yeah. My OG was 1.071 so with a FG this high it's a bit more drinkable. It tastes good so I'm going to dry hop now. I'm just curious if the oats add gravity points or if it's more of a perceived body/mouthfeel.

The oats do in fact add gravity points, so long as their is enough enzamitic activity from the mashing of a grain with enough diastic power to convert the sugars, and they are available for conversion via cereal mashing or using a flaked oat.

The mouthfeel from oats & rye comes from their high soluble fiber (aka beta-glucan) content. Aside from lowering your cholesterol, beta-glucans will make your beer taste full and creamy/smooth, but not sweet. Add that to a pound of crystal, the unfermentables in victory and a high mash temp, and you'll have a high FG.

Latest posts

Back