Oatmeal for Body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperBrewer

Reaction score
Trying to get a little more body in my stout. Love the current flavor and don't want to modify the OG and FG too much because I'm trying to stay in style, but it definitely tastes a little watery and thin in texture. I was told that by adding in some oatmeal with the grains would help add body, but I don't know how much or which type of oatmeal. Would really appreciate any help!

Darn maybe I should read the question instead of assuming they mean mouthfeel

Well, the oats DO provide a great silky mouthfeel. I will agree with that!

My favorite stout recipe is an oatmeal stout that gives great mouthfeel with the silky almost creamy oats, and some flaked barley for "thickness" and body.

I too like my stouts with more body.

Oatmeal will help a bit, but are oily - I use about a pound also for some stouts and porters. You could also mash a bit higher, or use malto-dextrin. Lactose will also give you some body, but will give you a sweeter final beer.

For the oats, you can get it at your LHBS, or just buy some quick oats from the store (generally cheaper). If you get regular oats (non-quick - the kind that take like an hour to cook), you will need to do a cereal mash to convert. Quick oats are already converted, so you can mash them directly, or even steep them.

Well, the oats DO provide a great silky mouthfeel. I will agree with that!

My favorite stout recipe is an oatmeal stout that gives great mouthfeel with the silky almost creamy oats, and some flaked barley for "thickness" and body.

CREAMY, that is the word I was looking for with oats. Best way to describe the mouthfeel of using oatmeal.

The base style that I am working with is a sweet stout and I was looking to add body, not creaminess, so the flaked barley sounds like the best bet. How much should I use for a 5 gallon batch. It already has lactose and maltodextrin in it so I just want to make sure those will not interfere with the flaked barley. Also, will it affect color or flavor at all? I was looking to make this stout darker as well so if the flaked barley lightens the stout I would have to compensate for that right?

The base style that I am working with is a sweet stout and I was looking to add body, not creaminess, so the flaked barley sounds like the best bet. How much should I use for a 5 gallon batch. It already has lactose and maltodextrin in it so I just want to make sure those will not interfere with the flaked barley. Also, will it affect color or flavor at all? I was looking to make this stout darker as well so if the flaked barley lightens the stout I would have to compensate for that right?

8 ounces of flaked barley should help quite a bit! It wont' lighten the color.

Color in beer is always additive given the same volume - nothing will lighten it other than taking things out. :mug:

I just wanted to give a quick update. The beer I am using this in is now in Tertiary and I will be bottling in about a week. After about 3 weeks, that will be ready to drink and I will let you all know how it comes out.

Higher mash temp? Carapils?Crystal malts? Body,body,body, somebody. Maltodextrin if your still unsatisfied. Even though i havent used this yet.

Back