Oatmeal Espresso RIS . . . anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been searching, but here's what I'm aiming for. (I've never built my own recipe, so I'd like something I can copy. . .)

I want to build a big beer. I would like to do a RIS. I would like it to have oatmeal (love oatmeal stouts for the sweetness and texture), I want it to have espresso. I don't want a lot of chocolate flavours. Would really like it to be focused on the coffee aspect.

Can anyone point me in a good direction? 5 gallon batch is what I can handle.

Geez, apparently I didn't search that hard. . . I've found a couple now. I'll still take any recommendations. . . Adding coffee is completely new to me.

Plenty of roast barley, oatmeal, and flaked barley for the head. Use cold press coffee at bottling for a big coffee flavor up front. This will fade over time so probably add 2oz of coarse ground coffee at flame out to help the flavors persist. If you really want it to shine I would say 12-16oz cold press at bottling. I've done a smoked porter with 12oz and it dominated for the first 3 months. I've also done a Whiskey barrel breakfast stout with only 10oz added in parts in 4oz secondary and 6oz at bottling and it was subdued but perfect for drinking right away with all the flavors working together. Lastly I've done a coffee porter with 2.5oz ground coffee in secondary for 3 days and it was a very strong delicious flavor for 4 months but not as smooth as the cold press.

Back