oat/wheat/barley beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank1598

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tough brewing a beer with oat, wheat and barley do you think it would be a good idea? and if yes what pourcentage of each do you think i would need for a good mix of all their taste?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you're just looking for any recipe that uses this combo I know Tripel Karmeliet is made with malted oats, wheat and barley as well as unmalted oats, wheat and barley. Northernbrewer has a clone partial mash kit under the name Carmelite.

Otherwise oats and wheat would usually be chosen for some particular contribution they make. For example flaked oats are commonly used in 0.5-1lb per 5 gallon to give a slick or creamy mouthfeel as in a stout. Golden naked oats apparently give a nutty sweetness (never used them). Lots of recipes use a little wheat for head retention, or it might be used in a lot larger proportion as the primary base depending on style.

Do you have a particular style in mind?

I tough brew a German style beer but I don't have the equipement to brew a lager so a German ale style.

So maybe a Kolsh then? I've seen a number of Kolsh recipes that use some wheat. Oats might be odd in something like that I would think, but the beauty of homebrewing is that nothing is stopping you! Check out the recipe database if you haven't already.
:mug:

Back