Oaking a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickersonC

Reaction score
Not positive that this is the right forum for this topic, but whatever.

So I initially got this idea after reading a recipe for a peach wheat beer (seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=82544). I'm still very new to brewing, but have considered myself somewhat of an 'oak-head' for some time before my forays into brewing. I thought it might be cool to add a little oak to a recipe like this to possibly counteract some of the inherent sweetness and add a little depth to the flavor profile.

So, I went off on a several-day internet search to see if anybody has tried anything like this, and unfortunately have turned up no results. In fact, I haven't even found a recipe, article, or forum post about people adding oak to a wheat beer of any type, let alone a fruit beer.

Before I go too far, I'm not necessarily talking about a wheat beer like hefeweizen or belgian white or what-not, more along the lines of a pretty generic american-style wheat beer (if that exists? I'm far from an expert on wheat beers).

Then, I started thinking a little more out of the box, like soaking oak cubes/chips (seems like cubes are what the kids are using these days) in the peach puree itself for some time before adding, although I really don't know if that would do anything. Why not soak some oak in peach-flavored brandy for a while and add it to a beer instead of real peaches, or maybe use a smaller amount of peaches with this method? Even soak it in something like Deep Eddy's Peach Vodka which uses all real peaches (now I'm really getting crazy). Not really serious about the vodka, but it did come to mind.

To simplify all this:

Oak in a fruit beer?
Oak in a wheat beer?
Flavored brandy soaked oak?

If there's a forum topic I'm missing, a link would be appreciated and I'll hush.

I guess I'm just envisioning a nice full-bodied wheat beer that hits you with a little peach flavor and trails off with some oaky smoothness on the finish, but it's entirely possible that the oak would do nothing but clash with the other flavors and you'd end up with some nasty peach-tree beer.

*Disclaimer, my dad recently shared a bottle of The Bruery's White Oak with me, which was a barrel-aged wheat-wine... man that guy knows what he's doing. However, like I said that's not the style in question.

I know this all might sound crazy but I refuse to do things the normal way. :fro:

image.png

In a light beer like a fruit or wheat beer, go VERY easy on the oak. I used 4 ounces of french oak chips (dry hop style) in a 5 gallon Russian Imperial Stout. Kind of like drinking a tree. It is now about 4 - 5 months since brew day and it is aging very well. But in a lighter beer it would be overpowering.....

If I were to experiment myself I'd likely try in smaller batches like 1 gall or maybe 2.5g gall to make the conversions easier. Recently made Northern Brewer's BB porter in a 1 gallon batch, .5oz cubes in 3oz Maker's for like 9ish days in secondary. Drank one exactly 2 weeks after bottling, knowing it wasn't by any means in its prime, and it was not very bourbon-y and extremely oak-y, even to my tastes. Since I'd likely want to drink these experimental beers pretty fresh due to the peaches (maybe not the brandy-barrel one), I'd likely scale down to like .25oz oak in a 1 gallon batch.

Still would like to hear if anyone has tried anything like this, even a non-fruit beer.

Happened upon an Innis & Gunn white oak wheat beer last night, so naturally I had to buy it considering I started this thread yesterday hah. Very very nice, had the smooth finish that I was imagining, but couldn't imagine how the fruit would play into it. Also, not sure if the 'white' was referring to the oak or the beer itself, and couldn't find much on 'white oak' chips or cubes after a quick search, anybody have experience with 'white' oak?

So I am soaking some light oak in some Bulleit In hopes of dropping a small portion in a small batch 1gal Honey Wheat and later into a Robust Porter. How did your brew turn out?

Back