oak to apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Anyone add oak to apfelwein ever? If so, any comments on it? Good? Bad? OK? Good falvors?
If you liked it, how long did you keep it on oak and how did it improve it?

Thanks!

Never done it, but i'm not a massive fan of putting oak into lighter wines. They work better in reds to add more depth.

I hear cinnamon works well though.

Dicky

I haven't made the low alcohol apfelwein recipe popular here but I've made many apple wines and have found that oak goes great with apple. It adds body, complexity and vanillin. Goes well with straight apple, spiced apple (cinnamon, allspice, & ginger), and with cranberry added.

I've made a few Oaked Apple Rose by fermenting fresh pressed apple cider (unfiltered juice) on the pressed skins of red wine grapes, which adds color, tannins and a grape wine character. The pressed skins already have oak cubes, to which I add more to make the apple rose. The grape skins are already infused with yeast so as soon as cider is added fermentation takes off right away. It's a favorite.

Hmm... Sounds delicious!!
Thanks for the comments! I'll have to try it myself I guess sometime and see how it comes out. Definitely the cinnamon also!

Back