Oak Chips And Scotch In A Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hepkat701

Reaction score
Brewing my first Scottish Ale this weekend a Wee Heavy, and I am considering adding oak chips soaked in some Johnny Walker to the secondary. I brew 10 gallon batches on a HERMS system, anyone have any advice on the oak chips and Scotch? How much of each? I don't want it to be too overpowering...

1 oz of oak chips and 8 oz of scotch per 5 gal should do it. After about a week in, start tasting the beer every other day or so. Then package it when you have the right amount of oak flavor. It is possible to overdo it. This has worked great for me. Right now I have a rye barrel porter, a rye barrel stout, and a calvados barrel cider on tap.

Also I picked up a bottle of wee heavy that was aged in scotch barrels in Scotland a while back. I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But it was a great beer. Definitely something worth trying.

There is an episode of brew strong on wood adding. More info than you'll need! It's online in the archives.

cjgenever said:
There is an episode of brew strong on wood adding. More info than you'll need! It's online in the archives.

Found it! Thanks! Will give me something to listen to on my long snowy drive to work!

Back