Nylon Washers safe to use INSIDE boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfOregon

Reaction score
I want to make sure that using a nylon washer inside my kettle is not going to melt, add off flavors, or possibly kill me and my entire family in some sort of post-apocalyptic summoning of dark powers beyond my ken.

Basically, I just want to use one as a spacer inside a fixture to adjust the fit.

Thoughts?

Probably won't kill the whole family -- unless they drink the beer. Then, yes, absolutely.

Nope, no matter what the govt or anyone still living from this says, you already know you don't want this thing in your BK. Maybe a few st stl washers?

Do you know what the washer is made of?
The most common nylon fastener materials are 6/6 and 6/6 GF30 (30% glass fiber).
The former has a long term service temperature ceiling of 170°F, while the latter is 230°F.

That spec is dry, however, and water degrades nylon...

Cheers!

Well, then, I'll avoid it. I went with a properly sized stainless washer. I needed it to get my new diptube to seal onto a nipple that had insufficient thread.

Back