Nutrient in starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will probably get a lot of answers most of which might ask how big a starter but for me I always just put in about a 1/2 a tsp in a 2l starter. I may have read somewhere once how much but that is what I have done for years with good results so I must have got that from somewhere. Actually I just use the back of a spoon to put like a fingernail size "scoop" in mine

Forget what book it was in but it went along the lines of: "Why do you do a starter?, To provide your beer with healthy and correct pitch count. Yeast nutrient only increases the health of yeast.

I always nutrient in my starters a lot of yeast sits and is sluggish so I like to give them a bit of "food" to wake up and start multiplying

Yes.
How much?
A fairly good sized pinch (1/2tsp sounds about right) for a 2l starter on a stirplate gets my wlp001 blowing foam out the top by end of day 2.

Although it technically is science, it doesn't need to be scientific.
Just tap some nutrient in there.
The yeasts will love you.

Your starter wort contains all the nutrient your yeast needs. Unlike fruit juices that are lacking it, wort contains plenty of free amino nitrogen.

Your starter wort contains all the nutrient your yeast needs. Unlike fruit juices that are lacking it, wort contains plenty of free amino nitrogen.

I would agree that its not necessary. Most times it will kick off no problem without it. Wyeast recommends it and so do most folks in the know that I'm aware of. Ive had the same jar of nutrient for like 4 years. Its expense is negligible and its benefits to a robust starter cant be denied Id say. "Fermaid K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that supplies ammonia salts (DAP), alpha amino nitrogen (derived from yeast extract), sterols, unsaturated fatty acids, key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamin, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium"

I think how much nutrient needed depends on the nutrient. I have Wyeast Beer Nutrient and it want 1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons. I also have Fermax yeast nutrient and it calls for 1 -1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

When I use Wyeast smack packs I just rely on the nutrient inner pack. I have not added any to White Labs yeast though it would not be a bad idea.

Wyeast recommends
I bet they do. it is in their interest.
:tank:
I have read several times that yeast absorb their nutrients while they are in the lag phase. but I have never read if they are absorbing during the primary phase. To me that would mean that yes we add it to a starter.
My Question is if they do absorb during primary phase.

I guess I need to read an entire book about yeast and not just a few articles.

I think how much nutrient needed depends on the nutrient. I have Wyeast Beer Nutrient and it want 1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons. I also have Fermax yeast nutrient and it calls for 1 -1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

When I use Wyeast smack packs I just rely on the nutrient inner pack. I have not added any to White Labs yeast though it would not be a bad idea.

I harvest yeast and build starters from it, with a new smack pack it may not be necessary Id have to actually read about whats in the "pack" as it may just be wort of some kind. I add it too all my starters like I said its costs is nothing probably less than a penny. I seriously doubt wyeast as a company recommends something that's not necessary just to make less than a penny on each of my starters. Especially when I don't even need to use their nutrient. I mean I don't trust big companies either but come on...

I harvest yeast and build starters from it, with a new smack pack it may not be necessary Id have to actually read about whats in the "pack" as it may just be wort of some kind. I add it too all my starters like I said its costs is nothing probably less than a penny. I seriously doubt wyeast as a company recommends something that's not necessary just to make less than a penny on each of my starters. Especially when I don't even need to use their nutrient. I mean I don't trust big companies either but come on...

I am not questioning the use of nutrient in a starter, I just haven't except for the nutrient pack inside a Wyeast smack pack. I actually think it is a good idea.

What I did remark upon was how much.

I saw others that said 1/2 teaspoon. I then went and looked at the directions on my nutrient containers. The Wyeast Beer Nutrient says 1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons. The other says 1 to 1.5 teaspoons also for 5 gallons.

It is not about the cost either. Though I prefer not to waste even if it is only a penny or so. But if 1/2 teaspoon is right for 5 gallons then, assuming a 2 liter starter, you are only using about 10 times as much as necessary.

just to throw some alternative facts out there for everyone, i dont remember if it was braukaiser or another place i saw a study done that found that increasing the content of a particular nutrient actually had an inverse relation to final cell counts. more nutrient got you less yeast.

problem is i cant remember what the hell the nutrient was..... but for some reason i wanna say zinc. most nutrient blends have zinc.

discuss.

I am not questioning the use of nutrient in a starter, I just haven't except for the nutrient pack inside a Wyeast smack pack. I actually think it is a good idea.

What I did remark upon was how much.

I saw others that said 1/2 teaspoon. I then went and looked at the directions on my nutrient containers. The Wyeast Beer Nutrient says 1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons. The other says 1 to 1.5 teaspoons also for 5 gallons.

It is not about the cost either. Though I prefer not to waste even if it is only a penny or so. But if 1/2 teaspoon is right for 5 gallons then, assuming a 2 liter starter, you are only using about 10 times as much as necessary.

All valid. I can only go by my experience I guess in general I COULD put less in, and someone mentioned zinc and too much and I have heard of that before as well somewhere. Theres a lot of information out there, I can only go by my experience here but will probably use less from now on. Like I said I typically use the end of a spoon and "get a pinch" out of my container but Id bet if I measure it would be in that 1/2 a tsp range. I will say when I don't use it casue I forgot to add it I have noticed that my starters aren't as active. A smack pack does contain nutrient fwiw....

Latest posts

Back